Meet Your 2014-15 Freshman ASG Senators

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Edie Andersen

Hometown?

Boise, Idaho

Major?

Undeclared, College of Arts & Sciences

Why did you decide to run for ASG?

I ran for ASG because I wanted to be more connected with the University and its student body. I wanted to be able to represent a great class, and make some great changes during the year.

What do you hope to accomplish as a senator?

By the end of the year, I hope to bring more awareness to our freshman class about all of the fun activities put on by clubs. There are so many of them doing fun events all the time and they should feel support from their peers!

Do you hope to continue serving on ASG next year?

Absolutely. I can’t say ‘yes’ enough! I love ASG and everyone who makes it such a great organization to be a part of. I would love to stay part of the legislative branch (in the Senate), but I’d also be willing to try working on a Community Development team!

Do you hope to enter politics one day?

No. There are so many other things that I am interested in! In a dream world, I would love to be an advocate for teens with mental disabilities.

Fun Fact:

I just found out that I’m getting a puppy for Christmas!

Isaiah Everett

Hometown?

Los Angeles, California

Major?

Mathematics

Why did you decide to run for ASG?

I wanted to represent my class and possibly implement some of my ideas.

I want to put some of the ideas I have in action.

Yes, I do.

Do you hope to enter politics one day?

No, I don’t.

Fun Fact:

I have two gopher snakes that live on campus.

Aly Motzel

Hometown?

Roseville, Minnesota

Major?

Undeclared, College of Arts & Sciences

Why did you decide to run for ASG?

I decided to run because I was involved in similar leadership activities in my high school, and I wanted to take part in bettering Santa Clara. Also, it’s great experience for campaigning and networking!

Generally, I hope to be a positive representative of the voices of the freshman class. Concretely, as a member of the Facilities and Operations Committee, we hope to create a more definite student center, change Benson’s hours for convenience, and add vending machines with better options and alter them to take dining points.

Yes! I am really excited about my position and intend to continue with ASG throughout my four years here.

Do you hope to enter politics one day?

Not necessarily! I’ve always been interested in politics, but I’m not sure that interest will translate into a career for me.

Fun Fact:

I love crafty DIY projects!

Jack Herstam

Hometown?

Phoenix, Arizona

Major?

Political Science & Environmental Studies

Why did you decide to run for ASG?

I’ve always enjoyed being involved in student government and I couldn’t imagine myself doing anything else. I wanted to get involved as soon as possible. I believe that if nothing else, I can provide adequate representation for the freshman class as we start our journey together. No one knows what the future will bring, but I want to make the best of it.

I would really like to see more student involvement in school activities, especially sporting events. The word I like to use to describe this is “supportsmanship”. If every student practiced supportsmanship and showed up to events and supported fellow Broncos, our already great school spirit would be overwhelming. I would also want to work on advertising panels in heavily used elevators, such as Swig and Dunne.

It’s early in the game, but I like what I’ve seen so far. ASG works together as a cohesive unit to make a positive change, and that’s something I definitely want to have a hang in for all four years here.

Do you hope to enter politics one day?

It’s definitely too early to tell, but I have family members who have made their career in politics. I guess we’ll see where the wind blows me.

Fun Fact:

On any given day, I wear at least two thrifted items.

Mac McOsker

Hometown?

Los Angeles, California

Major?

Political Science

Why did you decide to run for ASG?

I believe this freshman class is going to do big things and I wanted to help make that happen. 

I want to organize a student garage sale in Locatelli, bring powderpuff football to Santa Clara, and create a school-wide March Madness bracket fundraiser.

Yes, I do.

Do you hope to enter politics one day?

I aspire to be a congressman one day!

Fun Fact:

In kindergarten I used to dress up as Harry Potter every day, complete with marker scar and glasses. 

Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).