This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The Office ended a few years back but that doesn’t mean its memory won’t live on for decades to come. Even though some of the characters might have had some questionable morals, we can learn a lot from the lovable bunch at the Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. Here are a few of the top lessons we’ve gotten over the years.

Don’t Hold in Your Feelings

It’s ok to cry! You should never be afraid to show your feelings. We’re all human and we all have emotions. Just ask Michael Scott.

Live in the present

It’s pretty common to get caught up in worrying about the future, especially as young college students. But blink and you might have missed out on some of the best times. So acknowledge and enjoy what’s happening in the now.

Experiment with your personal style

Wear whatever you want! Don’t let anyone tell you what you should or shouldn’t wear. College is the perfect opportunity to express yourself. So if you want to wear that “bisexual suit,” then wear that bisexual suit!

What’s meant to be will be

Everything will work out the way it’s supposed to. Be patient! What is meant to be will be.

Embrace your flaws

We all have them, so there’s no point in trying to hide them. Just be like Michael and accept that you’re not perfect, and that’s ok.

Eat what you want

Life is short. If you want ice cream for breakfast, eat it. I mean, try not to make a habit of it, but splurging every once in a while is just fine.

Think before you act

Maybe Dwight’s wording is not exactly inspirational. But he has a point. Brash decisions aren’t always the best idea, so try to think your moves through.

Prison sucks

So make good choices. Don’t land yourself there. There may or may not be dementors…

Money isn’t everything

We all need it, but that doesn’t mean it should be the center of your universe.

It’s ok to take a step back

Sometimes life gets a little bit overwhelming and we just need to step back and not worry about everything going on. Give yourself a break.

Life goes on

Hopefully you’re a little bit more positive than Dwight, but he is right. Life does go on. So don’t get caught up in the small things.

Binge watching The Office is one of the best pastimes for college students. Hopefully you can take a little something away from it next time you procrastinate with Netflix. 

Jordan is a sophomore at Santa Clara and a writer for Her Campus SCU. She is an English major and a Political Science minor. She loves her cat and two dogs very much. Go Broncos.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.