This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

It’s something we all struggle with, especially when exam season hits – study breaks. Oftentimes a supposed five-minute pause from hours of studying results in two hours of Netflix. Oops. It happens. Here are some tips on how to make the most out of your study breaks.

Take breaks regularly. Make a schedule. Study for an hour; take a five-minute break, etc. Give your brain a rest once in a while so it won’t completely shut down after multiple hours of preparing for your exams.

Stretch. Getting up and moving around every so often will not only loosen and relax your muscles, but also will help prolong your concentration so you can get the most out of your study time.

Eat stuff that’s actually good for you. Health bars may seems like they’re nothing but good for you, but they often contain a bunch of sugar and other ingredients and may actually slow you down in the long run. And junk foods are obviously not going to make you feel motivated to tackle your final papers. Try to stick to brain foods like berries, fish, and nuts.

Take a shower. Showers may make you feel rejuvenated and ready to work again if you’re feeling a little sluggish. You’ll feel refreshed and ready to go after a quick rinse.

Limit your caffeine intake. I know. Coffee is ridiculously essential just to function on the daily. But too much is actually a bad thing and may make you crash sooner than if you take a few study breaks and skip that extra cup of coffee.

Finals week can be tough, but you can get through it. Try some of these tips to make these next days a little more bearable. Go get ‘em!

Mara Strong is a freshman at Santa Clara University where she is studying English and Philosophy. She loves everything Hamilton and is proud to call herself a Ravenclaw.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.