How Not to Die During Shark Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Every time that time of the month rolls around, it can be difficult to function like a normal human. No fear, we’ve got some tips to make sure that you’re well armed to face your own personal shark week:

1.     Firstly, familiarize yourself with your cycle so you’ll be prepared for the next leak week. Mark it down on your calendar, or use a handy period-tracking app.

2.     No one ever wants to unexpectedly end up looking like Carrie at prom. Before you’re scheduled to surf the crimson wave, make sure you’re stocked up on all your usual products. Whether you’re into tampons, pads, or menstrual cups, keep an arsenal at hand so you’re always prepared for Aunt Flo.

3.     If stomach cramps caused by your rusty pipes are really bothering you, take some pain killers. Other ways to soothe code red cramps are to rub your stomach (better yet, have someone else rub it for you) or use heating pads.  

4.     When you’re feeling down from having the painters in, get up and exercise! Moving around and staying active can not only relieve aches, but you’ll feel happier and more accomplished than if you’d just stayed in. If anything, try some simple yoga stretches in bed.

5.     Make sure to continue practicing good hygiene. Shower regularly and change your products often so you can continue riding the cotton pony without fear of toxic shock syndrome or other infections. Another thing to keep in mind when you’re birthing a blood diamond is that there’s no shame in dressing comfy—though you might not want to wear sweats to class every day.

6.     Lastly, what you’re putting into your body matters. Though you might be craving greasy comfort food while you’re paging Edward Cullen, keep in mind that they might actually make you feel worse later on. When parting the Red Sea, it’s generally best to avoid salty and fatty foods. Personally, when it’s Wednesday and I’m wearing pink, bananas are my go-to snack.

Don’t let your period get you down; get out there and kick some ass!

Erin is a sophomore Features Writer for Her Campus Santa Clara. Her spirit animal is a sloth. 
Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).