This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way we attend school, go to work and communicate, all of which are now completed primarily on Zoom (or other telecommunication). Although Zoom has become an integral part of our pandemic lives,  it also created the phenomenon known as Zoom fatigue. Zoom fatigue is defined as the burnout that comes with overusing virtual platforms. While the future of communication remains uncertain, here are some tips on how to combat Zoom fatigue!

Zoom meeting with coffee
Photo by Chris Montgomery from Unsplash

Schedule ‘No Meeting’ Times in your Calendar

Amidst scheduling Zoom lectures and meetings in your calendar for the week, make sure to schedule break times. Blocking off time the week ahead will help hold yourself accountable to be unavailable. Another technique  to balance out your day is to schedule your meetings either in the morning or afternoon, and the other half of the day will be devoted to working asynchronously.

Differentiate between Video Calls and Text-Based Communication

If you have the opportunity, try to differentiate between having video calls and communicating via email or text. Using this technique will make the most out of your meetings and be an effective use of everyone’s time.

Turn Off Your Notifications

During your meeting, put your phone on ‘Do Not Disturb’ and alter your notification preferences, so you are not distracted by incoming mail or text messages. Limiting the amount of online stimulus will help you focus your attention and energy on the meeting.

Use “Speaker View” rather than “Gallery View”

Using the speaker view feature will focus your attention on one speaker at a time, which is less draining and distracting than trying to focus on everyone at the same time. This relates to reducing online stimuli and will reduce the amount of time you spend looking at the camera.

Be a Self-Advocate

Be a self-advocate, know your limits and most importantly, communicate them. While setting boundaries can be a stressful task, it will ultimately help establish a work/life balance. 

Delegate a Meeting Space (& make it comfortable!)

A quiet and organized space often comes to mind when preparing for a Zoom call. However, having a go-to space and filling it with your favorite things is just as significant and can make a positive difference when attending meetings.

Although we are counting down the days until in-person lectures and meetings can safely resume, I hope these tips can help you find balance among the chaos that the pandemic has ensued. Between back-to-back meetings, make sure to find some time for yourself! 

Have any tips to share? Comment below or email me at hercampus@scu.edu!

Alexis Takagi is the Marketing Director for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Alexis is a 3rd-year student majoring in Communication. She is passionate about supporting women in business and business law. When Alexis is not working, she is taking photos, cooking, or volunteering!
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!