Fun Things to Do Now that The Hut is Closed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

After more than 70 years, everyone’s favorite dive bar – and one of the only bars in walking distance from Santa Clara University campus – has closed.  We will forever hold The Hut near and dear to our hearts, but it’s time to move on.  When you realize there’s more to life than going to the Hut every Tuesday night, the little Santa Clara University bubble that we all live in opens up to include a lot of fun opportunities.

[Photo courtesy of Tricia Sousa from The Santa Clara]

If you’re looking for some fun close by, The Hut has been quickly replaced by Normandy House Lounge, located on Washington Street.  In addition to drinks and dancing, NHL also offers pool, darts, shuffleboard, and air hockey. This is a great option if you’re car-less like me and looking to socialize with fellow SCU students.

Taplands is also a nearby, underappreciated hangout if you’re looking to casually pregame or try a wide variety of craft brews.  Open until midnight on Fridays, Taplands is a cool brewery to check out whether you’re looking to pregame or just hangout with some friends.

Santana Row is another alternative if you’re looking to stay within 10-15 minutes from campus.  While Santana Row is perfect for a daytime shopping trip, it also has a bit of a night-life scene.  In particular, the outdoor tequila bar and wine bar would be two cool spots to check out on a Friday or Saturday night.  El Jardin Tequila Bar & Restaurant features live Spanish music, dancing, and food to accompany pitchers of sangria or margarita.  If tequila isn’t really your thing, Vintage Wine Bar is a nearby option.  Flights are around $20 and the cheese plate is to die for. 

[Photo courtesy of Santana Row]

A little less known place on Santana Row is CineArts movie theater.  This quaint theater usually plays a wide range of movies and tickets are only $6 every Tuesday.  It might not be The Hut, but it is a cheaper alternative to buying one too many cranberry vodkas.  

Bowling is another option for a night out if you’re looking to save a little money.  4th Street Bowl combines bowling, arcades, a diner, coffee shop, karaoke, and a sports bar.  For one game and a pair of rental shoes, you probably won’t end up spending more than $10. 

If you’re feeling daring and willing to go out to Campbell, The Spot is the bar to go to.  Only about a 15-minute drive away, The Spot isn’t too far out of the way for a night of drinking and dancing.  Not to mention, there are three bars—one downstairs, one upstairs and one outside.  It’s also a pretty cheap night out if you pregame at home, because there’s usually no cover charge. 

Nothing will ever replace The Hut but it’s nice to know that we have some options!  There is hope after all.  

Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.