absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fun Things to Do Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

With the return of the school year, collegiettes may find themselves flooded with work. While homework and extracurricular activities often dominate students’ Monday through Friday routine, the weekend is left open to endless possibilities and is a good time to take a break from the stresses of school by finding something to do off campus. For those with cars, traveling off campus is not an issue. For those without cars, including myself, here are a few ideas to keep you occupied on your weekends.

The most important factor in what determines what you do off campus is how you get off campus. Luckily, Uber and Lyft make this totally feasible with student promo codes and user-friendly apps. It isn’t difficult to find a ride to wherever you wish to go in a matter of seconds. For longer journeys, Zipcar is always available with an annual payment fee, which is discounted for students, and a reservation in advance. Santa Clara’s train station, located just across campus, is a great way to get to other cities like San Francisco and Berkeley. Even if you don’t want to travel far, there are still options close to campus that you may even be able to get to without a car. Zagster is similar to Zipcar, but replaces cars with bikes and is totally affordable.

Once your mode of transportation is solidified, your options are endless thanks to Santa Clara’s prime location.

On days when the weather begs you to spend time outdoors, which happens quite frequently in California, hiking is a great way to spend time off campus. Santa Clara County provides many scenic hiking trails to help clear your head. San Jose boasts many trails of various levels so hikers of all skills can enjoy the scenery.

If nature isn’t your thing and your favorite form of therapy is retail, Santana Row is about a ten-minute drive from campus and is a great way to spend a few hours on a free day. Santana Row houses about 70 retail shops and a generous selection of restaurants. Even if you’re not in the market for making transactions, this trendy shopping spot is perfect for window-shopping to take your mind off the pressures of school.

Collegiettes in need of the ocean, fear not. Just 40 minutes away are the beautiful beaches of Santa Cruz. Reserve a couple of hours on a weekend, grab some friends and a Zipcar and make your way down to the coast. Take advantage of the boardwalk and the beaches while the weather’s still nice. If you have a sweet tooth, Penny Ice Creamery is a perfect way to satisfy your craving while supporting local businesses with its homemade small-batch ice cream. Santa Cruz is ideal for spending a leisurely day walking around and taking in the shops and sights.

For those with a little extra time on their hands, San Francisco is easily accessible via the Caltrain. Trains leave regularly and are reasonably priced. Once in the city, it isn’t hard to find something to do. From museums to restaurants to shops and more, the possibilities of things to do are endless. A personal favorite is the walking around the Ferry Building food hall located on the Embarcadero.

Grabbing a bite to eat off campus may not even require a car or bike. Off campus dining options are abundant and often close in proximity. Ike’s Sandwiches is quite the institution around Santa Clara and is an easy walk off campus right on the Alameda. Open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. is Sara’s Kitchen and is perfect for brunch with friends. Although it’s situated about half a mile off campus, it provides students with an alternative to Benson. Plus, a morning or afternoon walk is refreshing.

Although these are just a few suggestions, there are an infinite amount of activities for your daycation just waiting to be found off campus.

SaveSave

Mara Strong is a freshman at Santa Clara University where she is studying English and Philosophy. She loves everything Hamilton and is proud to call herself a Ravenclaw.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.