The Freshman Fifteen: 15 Tips for Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

As an incoming freshman, I had a myriad of concerns about my first couple weeks in college. I was worried my roommate would hate me, my classes would be insanely difficult, and that I wouldn’t make any friends. Luckily for me, none of this has been the case. So far I feel incredibly welcomed by the Bronco community! On move in day, so many people offered to help carry my luggage and answer my questions. I immediately learned Santa Clara students   love freshman! Everywhere I look I see a smiling face and someone ready to lend a helping hand. Unlike in high school, I am unashamed to say I am a freshman, in fact: people have been telling me they wish they were freshmen again!

After a busy Welcome Weekend filled with activities, I was ready to start my first day of classes. Although I was nervous and my first class was at 8 AM, I was super energized and excited for my Psychology class. My teacher was very engaging and the subject matter held my attention. Fortunately  this was the case with all of my classes (well, all except one) – but my first homework assignment brought me back to reality. I immediately realized how hard it is to find the balance between social life and academics, and living in Swig does not make the academic side any easier to balance. As a result, the library has become a second home to many of my hall mates. I personally prefer to study in my dorm with the door closed to avoid disrupting other students in the library (and their death glares when I open my backpack).

College is a completely different animal than high school. It is sort of like a big 4-year summer camp that assigns work. This being said it is really easy to get lost in all of the excitement.

Based on my first couple weeks, I suggest that you:

1. Make sure to stay healthy (wash your hands, take your vitamins, rest).

2. Don’t be shy! Keep your door open, ask people to eat with you, and exchange numbers. Everyone is just as excited to make friends as you are.

3. Try the Cellar in Benson! They have so many great options.

4. Be frugal. Don’t go too crazy in the cellar (like me) and make sure to budget your meal points. They will run out eventually.

5. Be smart. Be sure to stay on top of your schoolwork. After all, you are here to learn.

6. Don’t skip class. You will easily fall behind.

7. Make sure to branch out. Coming from Seattle, I know a lot of people coming in, but meeting new people has been one of the most rewarding experiences of college thus far. Step out of your comfort zone.

8. Get sleep! Although it is tempting to stay up till 2 AM socializing, you need sleep to stay healthy and succeed.

9. Respect naptime. If your roommate is trying to sleep, be considerate. Don’t slam the door or begin loud conversations with your family on the phone.

10. Get involved! There are so many amazing clubs and activities that can help enrich your college experience.

11. Get to know your floor mates. They make a great support system and are always there to help you procrastinate.

12. Check out the pool! It is a great way to unwind from the stress of school and hang out with friends (or check out cute boys). Just make sure to wear sunscreen!

13. Visit the gym: it is really easy to eat more calories than you need in college and the gym will be helpful in combating that freshman fifteen! There is also some nice eye candy there. ;)

14. Call your parents! They miss you – and if you are nice to them they might send you care packages.

15. Have fun! Don’t be too serious and make the most out of your freshman year!

Photo Source: www.wikipedia.com

Alyssa started working as a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Santa Clara in the fall of 2014. She is currently a Freshman Communication major, and would love to enter the world of public relations or journalism in the future. Alyssa is an active in her sorority and loves to participate in all of the Greek philanthropy events. She can typically be found listen to music or clicking "Play next episode" on Netflix.