absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Four Non-Basic Ways to Eat Avocados

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

We all love our favorite green fruit, but there’s more ways to eat it than you think. Here are some ways you can incorporate more avocados into your diet. Don’t worry—they’re just as instagrammable as avocado toast ;)

1. There’s Mexican tortilla soup, a super easy meal that’s both filling and tasty. This is my friend Sarah’s recipe, and it’s one of my favorite things to eat whenever I’m over at her house. I’m not sure how many it feeds exactly, but you’ll be sure to have leftovers!

These are the ingredients:

• 1 yellow onion
  • Vegetable oil
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic
  • Water
  • 1 large can of Las Palmas Red Chile Sauce
  • 5 chicken breasts (frozen are fine)
  • Sour cream
  • Tortilla chips
  • 2-4 avocados
  • 6-8 limes
  • Cilantro (optional)
  • Shredded cheese

First, chop the entire onion into little cubes, or put it in a food processor if needed. Then, mince the garlic and put both into a big soup pot.

Next, pour in some oil and cook on medium until the onions are translucent. Pour in the entire can of chile sauce and enough water to bring it almost to the top, and put the chicken breasts in.

Bring to a boil, put the lid on and turn the heat down to low. Cook it for a few hours—the longer the better. When you’re ready to eat, take out the chicken and shred it—you can use two forks to do so. Put the chicken back in and you’re almost done!  The final step is to add your garnishes of sour cream, tortilla chips, sliced avocado, shredded cheese and cilantro. And don’t forget to squeeze lots of lime juice on top!

2. I know avocado toast is kind of overdone, but here’s an easy way to take it from basic to *~bomb~*. It’s goat cheese & avocado toast, a combination that nobody thinks of, but definitely goes together. This is so simple it shouldn’t even count as a recipe.

You need only five minutes and these ingredients:

• Toast
  • Crumbled goat cheese
  • Avocado
  • Olive oil
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Salt

Toast your bread until it’s crusty to your liking, and then smash and spread the avocado. Top it off with crumbled goat cheese, and drizzle some olive oil. Then add red pepper flakes and salt, and you’re done!

Photo credit: www.loveandoliveoil.com

3. This delicious breakfast option (or let’s be real—for any time of the day) has both high protein and fiber. It’s a baked egg in avocado!

Here’s what you’ll need:

• An avocado
  • 2 eggs
  • Custom garnishment

Here’s what you’ll do: preheat oven to 425 degrees. While that’s happening, slice the avocado in half, take out the pit, and scoop some of the surrounding flesh to make the holes bigger.

Then, crack an egg into each half — aim to land the yolk in the hole. Then, insert into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the egg whites have enough time to set.

When done, it can be deliciously seasoned with red pepper flakes, chives, salsa or hot sauce.

Photo credit:  POPSUGAR

4. Baked Avocado Fries

• 2 large avocados, sliced
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 eggs (beaten)
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/2 lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Set up three bowls.

One bowl will have the flour, salt, pepper, and chili powder combined. The second bowl will contain the beaten egg, and the third bowl will hold the panko bread crumbs.

Place the slices of avocados in the first bowl and lightly coat in the flour mixture. Next, dip it in egg, and then the panko. Your hands will get messy!

The slices go on a wire rack on a baking sheet, and then in an oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and then squeeze the fresh lemon on top!

Erin is a sophomore Features Writer for Her Campus Santa Clara. Her spirit animal is a sloth. 
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.