Dad Bods and Man Buns: Yes or No?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

So if you’ve been on any social media site in the past month, then you’ve probably noticed a lot of pictures of some good looking men with titles like “Is the Dad Bod now hotter than a six-pack?” or “Buns are no longer just for women.” Now you might be thinking to yourself, “How could a dad bod EVER be hotter than a 6-pack? My dad doesn’t have a good body, why would I want to replace Zac Efron’s beautiful abs with that?!” Or maybe “Ew, guys with buns? Gross!”

Dad Bod

According to Urban Dictionary, the Dad Bod is “a body resembling a man who lives a sedentary lifestyle, flabby, usually comes with a keg gut.” Doesn’t sound delightful, does it? But, some of Hollywood’s hottest stars like Jason Segal (swoon) and Leonardo DiCaprio (double swoon) are sporting this new look. So is it really the new six-pack? Only time will tell…

Man Bun

Urban Dictionary says The Man Bun is “a questionably sexy hairstyle in which a man with hair of medium to long (and usually greasy) variety secures his hair into a firmly rounded bun.”  Man Buns can be seen everywhere from the beaches of Santa Cruz to our very own Benson dining hall.  Will the trend continue on or will clean and short haircuts win out after all?

Decision Time

Dad Bods: 100% yes. I am definitely a fan of the dad bod.  Ladies, we know it’s really hard to get a six-pack (or even a toned stomach for that matter). So cut that cute guy some slack, because he may not have perfect abs. The Dad Bod wins in my book.

Man Buns: Um no. I can’t wait for this trend to die! While I do admit some guys can rock it, I’m still not a fan.

So what do you think? Are you a fan of the Dad Bod and Man Bun?

Photo 1: mirror.co.uk

Photo 2: distractify.com

Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).