Campus Talk: Lent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Now that Lent is a few weeks underway, the initial excited exclamations of “I gave up sweets!” or “I gave up caffeine!” have lost their fervor.  We begin to waver, and promises begin to break.  How can you resist the leftover Valentine’s Day candy your roommate is offering?  Aren’t we allowed to cheat on Sunday anyways?

Just like a New Year’s resolution, Lent provides a way for us to start fresh and cleanse our minds and bodies.  While for many it is a special religious experience, it is also a convenient excuse to start a diet just before spring break.

In order to maintain your resolution, you must evaluate how much you care about what you have decided to give up.  If what you gave up does not have some sort of meaningful significance to you, it will likely be hard to keep the promise.  If you have found yourself in this situation, I would recommend re-evaluating or altering what you decided to give up.  Now, to be clear, I am NOT suggesting you cheat—but instead make a simple adjustment to your decision.  For example, if you gave up carbs and it just isn’t working, give up toast for breakfast instead… or something like that.  This way, you can keep the significance of your sacrifice without completely giving up on Lent.

Already abandoned your promise?

Lent is also a time to give back, so you could sacrifice some of your time volunteering or doing something meaningful around the school.  Who says Lent has to be about food?  Change some sort of behavior, and the rewards will be far more meaningful than a hot beach bod.  It’s never too late to try making a new change for the better. Basically, Lent is just like anything else—it is what you make of it.  Whether or not you decide to maintain your promise, allow it to be a time to examine your life and find ways to make yourself a better person.

Hang in there for the next couple weeks!  You can do it!