Binge-Worthy Netflix Shows for Every Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Whether you’re procrastinating your homework or you’re just bored, Netflix can be the solution to all your problems. The enormous amount of options can be a bit overwhelming when picking a new show, so use this guide to find a new favorite based on your mood.

If you want something light-hearted and funny: The Office

The Office is a classic show and a favorite of many. With 20-minute episodes (except for that weird season with some longer ones) it makes for an easy watch. It is funny and light-hearted, which makes it good for someone who is looking to watch something a little less serious.

If you want something light-hearted with some raunchy humor: Archer

This one is another for those who aren’t in the mood for dramas, though it has a bit of a raunchier sense of humor than The Office. Inappropriate characters make for some hilarious moments in this spy themed show (except for that one weird season where they all become cocaine dealers). If you laugh at jokes that perhaps you would not want your grandma to hear, then this is the show for you.

If you want a serious show and are willing to pay attention: Narcos

Narcos is a fascinating drama telling the real life story of infamous drug dealer, Pablo Escobar. But you have to be willing to pay attention for this one. A lot of the show is in Spanish and therefore you have to pay attention to the subtitles for a good majority of every episode. But don’t let that turn you away from this show. It’s a good watch, just make sure you’re in the right mindset to focus.

If you want a drama where you connect to the characters: Gossip Girl

Gossip Girl is a classic drama, another favorite on Netflix. Viewers follow the lives of these Upper East Side teenagers and watch them through all of their adventures. While all of the characters have their flaws, they are all lovable in their own way and the end of the show will definitely lead to a good cry.

If you like sitcoms with a continuous story line: Friends or How I Met Your Mother

These two shows are often compared but they are both awesome in their own way. The shows are both light-hearted, but unlike some more comedy-oriented sitcoms they follow a story line that gets you super attached.

If you want to follow a drama that will consistently make you cry: Grey’s Anatomy

This is another popular drama on Netflix and while it has its light and funny moments, prepare to be emotionally wrecked after many of its episodes. However, don’t let the occasional depression that hits deter you from watching it all together. It’s an amazing storyline that has certainly earned its massive fan base.

If you like apocalypse centered dramas: The Walking Dead

Here is another one that is going to leave you feeling down quite a bit. The zombie show has quite a different cast now in its 6th season than the people we started with. But the new characters it has introduced along the way have all made great additions. This show might get a bit bloody at times, but it is worth the watch.

If you like shows about mythical creatures: The Vampire Diaries

As a fan from nearly the beginning of the show, I will say that its more recent seasons are not as strong. But that being said, I still think it’s worth recommending. If you like vampires and ghosts and werewolves and everything in between, this is the show for you. Special mention here: The Originals. This show is a spin off and it took some of the Vampire Diaries’ best characters with it. It did not start out incredibly strong, but it hit its stride in the second season and is worth checking out.

If you want to watch a series but don’t have a ton of time to get attached: Stranger Things (drama) or Wet Hot American Summer (comedy) or Freaks and Geeks (Dramedy)

All three of these are incredibly different shows, but if you want something that you can binge watch and be done with in a matter of days, then check out these. Stranger Things is only 8 one-hour-ish long episodes that pull you in to the weird horror/sci-fi story line of it all. Wet Hot American Summer is a funny rendition on the movie with its (aged) actors reprising their previous roles. The season on Netflix is a bit strange and inconclusive, but it’s funny enough that it’s worth a shot. Freaks and Geeks has a little bit of high school drama and a little bit of comedy. It was unfortunately cancelled too soon in my opinion, but the episodes we do have are a must see.

If you like the idea of horror movies but are easily spooked: Bates Motel

Bates Motel is based on the horror movie Psycho and serves as a prequel to the saga of serial killer Norman Bates. It’s not a very scary show, but the ideas motivating it fall within the horror genre. If that interests you, this show is right up your alley. It’s fascinating to watch the serial killer develop.

If you want to watch questionable people do questionable things in the form of comedy: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

This is another one of those light-hearted, mindless sitcoms that makes for an easy and fun watch, but it definitely is a bit more “out there” in the sense of comedy. The characters are pretty sh**ty people who do some horrible things and it’s all pretty hilarious to watch unfold.

If you think prison makes a fascinating setting for a drama: Prison Break or Orange is the New Black

To be fair, only one season of Prison Break takes place in an actual prison, but it’s still a pretty interesting show. It definitely declines as seasons go on but I finished it just to see what happened to all the characters. The first season is definitely worth a watch though. Orange is the New Black is one I definitely recommend. It is one of the most popular Netflix originals for a reason. While it is a drama, it definitely has some fun and more comedic moments. If you are new to watching it you might want to time your viewing around finishing next June so that you don’t have to suffer the cliffhanger and you can just continue when the new season premieres next year.

If you like Netflix dramas and find politics interesting: House of Cards

In the name of transparency, I have never actually watched this show. But because of all of the amazing reviews of it I decided to include it. It follows the drama of politics and schemes of revenge and it is one that is hard to stop watching once you start.

If you want to watch a critically acclaimed drama: Breaking Bad

This is another super popular one, and for good reason. It’s excellently written and all of the actors do an incredible job. It follows the life of high school chemistry teacher Walter White and the creation of a sort of meth making dynasty with one of his ex-students. It has crime, family problems, money laundering, and a little bit of everything else that make up a good drama.

If you want to watch a drama about questionable teenagers: Skins

If you ever thought you were a wild or rebel child in high school, watching this will probably (hopefully) prove you wrong. The show follows some questionable teens and their relationships with one another. Every two seasons follows a new cast, which can be a bit hard once you’ve already gotten attached to one set but the show helps you love the new ones very quickly. The first and second set of characters are definitely the best, with the 7th and final season doing a recap on three of the most loved characters.

If you want a somewhat cheesy Southern drama: Hart of Dixie

This Southern drama has a Gossip Girl vibe but with a bit more cheesiness. Some moments are definitely corny but if you like that sort of romance drama filled with love triangles, affairs, and more, this is the show for you.

Well, there you have it: a show for just about every mood and every person’s interests. If none of these float your boat, this list doesn’t even scratch the surface of everything Netflix has to offer. Searching through Netflix is an activity in itself that can entertain you for hours. Happy watching! 

Jordan is a sophomore at Santa Clara and a writer for Her Campus SCU. She is an English major and a Political Science minor. She loves her cat and two dogs very much. Go Broncos.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.