Bend It Like Bucky: David Beckham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

It’s certainly not everyday that our campus is graced with the presence of a world-renowned athlete.  Last Wednesday, David Beckham was on campus with his soccer team, the Los Angeles Galaxy, and battled the San Jose Earthquakes at Buck Shaw Stadium.  One of the most famous and accomplished athletes to ever play the game of soccer, Beckham’s team beat the locals by a score of three to one during a nationally televised playoff game on ESPN 2.

Married to former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham, he is one of the more marketable athletes on the world stage and has numerous endorsements with companies such as Armani, Adidas, Diet Coke, and Samsung. Mistakenly referred to as “Sir” David Beckham in a photo posted to the Santa Clara University – Undergraduate Admissions Facebook page, Beckham can be seen gracing the walkway between the Leavey Center and Buck Shaw Stadium, a path on which almost all Santa Clara Students have walked several times.  In addition to being an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Beckham has won Goal of the Decade (1990-2000), UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1998-1999), and multiple ESPY awards.

As news spread of his appearance on campus, so did a rumor that he would be spending time on campus after the game.  These rumors remain unconfirmed at time of publishing and it is unknown how many students were able to see the legend play.  Interestingly, David Beckham served as the inspiration for the movie Bend it Like Beckham, where the two main characters are awarded full ride soccer scholarships to play at Santa Clara.  Although his time on campus was short, be sure to tell all of your friends back home that your campus (and not theirs) was honored with the presence of one of the greatest soccer players of all time.