ASG President: Judith Martinez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Tell us a little about yourself!

I’m a first generation college student and SoCal native, originally from Long Beach, California. A senior at SCU, I’ll be graduating with a major in Philosophy emphasizing in Pre-Law, with minors in Entrepreneurship and Economics. I’m a huge advocate of dark chocolate and almonds, and consider myself an avid Netflix junkie. I’ve loved my time at Santa Clara mostly because of the awesome organizations I’ve joined and the great people I’ve met because of it. As Student Body President, one organization I’m especially passionate about is Associated Student Government!

How/when did you start getting involved with ASG?

I first got involved with ASG my freshman year as a Freshman Chair on the Community Development Branch. I was encouraged by my Orientation Leader and former Student Body President, Jenna Saso, to get involved.

What’s the most memorable ASG event/activity that you participated in?

There is definitely a good handful, but a constant favorite for me is Bronco Week. SCU’s Bronco Week is like our Homecoming Week. ASG works with different student organizations throughout campus to create events for an entire week dedicated to school spirit. It all revolves around the big Gonzaga game. The best was during my freshman year – I remember when we beat Gonzaga and everyone stormed the court. I’ll never forget that.

Any embarrassing moments?

Every Thursday night, ASG has student Senate meetings where all of our Senators meet to discuss topics for the week and go over updates. Sometimes we have faculty and staff, student club representatives, or just friends join us who are curious about what we’re up to.

At one meeting during dead week, I was reminding everyone in the room about a program that ASG sponsors called “WTF – Welcome to Finals” where we give away free “study packs” that have Scantrons, pencils, erasers, and energy drinks. Instead of ‘Welcome to Finals”, I said “What the f*ck”. There were faculty members and guests in the room, and I was so embarrassed and awkwardly tried to laugh it off. With finals around the corner, I guess it was some good comic relief! 

Elections are right around the corner. If you could offer a piece of advice to SCU’s rising student leaders, what would that be?

I’d say 3 things: be bold, seek fun, and think big. Be bold and don’t be afraid to have an opinion. Also, keep in mind you’ll have plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and implement plans for the future; but in the mix of things, it’s just as important to have fun and enjoy the present. And above all, don’t be afraid to think big. Being a student leader means you get the privilege to sit at a table and work to implement change in various shapes and forms; but, your number one priority is to represent the people who aren’t at the table, whose voices aren’t necessarily in the room. So think big picture because you are part of something bigger than you. 

Are there any favorite quotes that inspire you? Or a quote you find relevant to your time at SCU?

“An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it’s going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming.” –Anonymous

I love this quote for many reasons, but mostly because it’s gotten me through many ups and downs during my time at SCU and life in general. Another favorite would be from Rumi: “What you seek is seeking you.” I first heard this while studying abroad in Turkey my junior year. I’m a huge believer in the universe conspiring to bring your way what you put forth and what you will and work toward will come.

Is there anything on your SCU bucket list you still want to do?

My friend and I want to go to our old rooms from freshman year and meet the freshmen who live there now and take them on a spontaneous adventure. It’s definitely going to 

Shannon is a junior at Santa Clara University studying English with an emphasis in Creative Writing. Besides being involves in Her Campus, Shannon is the leader of the a capella group Measure Up and enjoys performing with her friends. Born and bred California, she loves writing, running, and all things movies. Shannon is a big fan of baking, Firefly, and Bernese Mountain dogs. She loves the beach more than anywhere else and undoubtedly wishes she were there right now.