This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Public Speaking. The thought of standing up in a packed room with all eyes on me makes my head spin, heart race and hands sweat. These are just some of the many symptoms of public speaking anxiety that I’m sure we can all relate to, at least to some extent. Unfortunately, public speaking is everywhere—in our classrooms, workplaces and  on the streets. Luckily, there are many tips and tricks to help one overcome the terror of public speaking. Here are my 8 favorite public speaking practices that have helped me be a more confident and effective speaker!

Prepare, Prepare, Prepare!

It’s normal for your heart to pound and hands to tremble when anticipating a speech, but the best way to overcome nervousness is to prepare! Take some time to rehearse with a friend or in front of a mirror. 

Start strong!

Humans have an attention span of just 8 seconds (meanwhile, a goldfish’s attention span is about nine seconds), so start off your speech with a shocking statistic, entertaining anecdote or engrossing quotation to grab your audience’s attention.

Know your audience.

Before crafting your speech, make sure you know who you are speaking to and what content and messages they care about. If it’s friends and family, feel free to crack a joke or use informal language. Meanwhile, if it’s for an interview panel, you may want to maintain a serious tone and limited facial expressions. You may need to alter your level of information, choice of words and organization pattern depending on who you are speaking to.

Communicate To The Max!

Remember that there are many different forms of communication beyond the words we say. Emphasize your speech with hand gestures, tone inflection, eye contact and facial expressions. Be mindful that your gestures are effective and not a distraction!

Slow Down.

Nothing is worse than trying to understand someone who speaks a mile a minute. Remember that we talk a lot faster than we intend to when we’re nervous. Don’t be afraid to pause and let there be a moment of silence while you transition between ideas or to emphasize a key point!

E·nun·ci·ate

No rambling or rushing! Pronounce every syllable of every word!

Figure out your style.

Some people prefer impromptu speaking, while others prefer to have their speech 100% memorized before presenting. Find an approach that works for you and makes you the most comfortable!

Demand Attention!

Look people in the eye, speak loud and clear and keep your head up. If you project confidence, you are more likely to feel confident eventually. And even if you are still terrified, your audience doesn’t need to know that—fake it till you make it!

Katelyn Wong is a writer for Her Campus SCU. She is a first-year student majoring in Communication and minoring in Retail Studies. She is passionate about empowering women through writing and social media. In her free time, Katelyn loves hiking, going on picnics, and trying out new brunch places with friends!
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!