The 7 Best Benson Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Hey on-campus kids, are you bored of Benson? We got pretty bored of it too! Lucky for you, we made a list of all the best alternatives (Off-campus kids, you probably already have your own list, but maybe you’ll find a new favorite eatery on this list!).

1. Fluc – No Car Required

Fluc walking, get your food brought to you! This app lets you order delivery from most Santa Clara restaurants. Chipotle or The Counter or Panda Express in my sweats without stepping outside? Fluc yes. Another cool feature lets you pay as a group, so you don’t have to do the awkward bill splitting when one person only has cash, two people have credit cards, and someone only has yen. Check it out: http://www.fluc.com.

2. Jasmine Fine Thai Cuisine – No Car Required

In my personal opinion, this is the best walking-distance alternative to Benson. Depending on where you live it can be a bit of a hike away, but it’s worth the trek. Jasmine shames Benson’s Asian specials. Take a break from Benson’s under-cooked rice and lukewarm tofu/chicken.

3. San Pedro Square

You really only get the full experience if you go yourself. It’s takes a car to get there, but if you get a chance, you should see if it’s your kind of square. They offer several types of cuisine and amazing outdoor seating, with TVs if you want to go and catch the 49ers game.

4. Santana Row

Options, options, options. There is something for everyone, even the vegans! Try a new restaurant like Veggie Grill or Blowfish Sushi, or stick to the classics like The Counter or Pizza Antica. Finish the night off with a Starbucks, a cupcake from Kara’s, or froyo from Pinkberry. You can get there via bus, or find someone with a car, but be ready to wait for a table at any of the popular restaurants, especially on the weekend.

5. San Jose Market Center (“Coleman Market”)

This center has a little bit of everything. There are sit down restaurants, sports bars, and fast food options, but your toughest decision will be whether it’s a Jamba Juice or Tutti Frutii kind of day. Don’t forget to make a Target run while you’re over there, because let’s face it, there is always something you need from Target.

6. Ike’s – No Car Required

Personally, I think it’s a little overhyped, but it gets the job done. There is a sandwich for every mood and every dietary restriction. Order on your walk over with the Tapingo app or risk getting stuck at the back of a LOOOONG line almost any day of the week.

7. Safeway – No Car Required

When you’ve been to a few too many Saturday night parties, there’s only one thought on your mind at 1am: a full loaf of bread at 1am. Safeway.

And don’t forget, if you do end up venturing off campus for some grub, remember that there are always upperclassmen who are more than willing to use some of your leftover meal points!