7 Apps Every SCU Student Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

1.     Hype Machine– If you like to keep up with the hottest new music, downloading Hype Machine will make your life much happier. This app pulls together the most up-to-date music and news from 800 different blogs worldwide. You can listen to the latest hits and keep up with what’s popular from a single app! Hype Machine does all the work and researching for you—you can listen to the newest tracks, the most popular tracks of the day, and see what kind of music your friends have discovered too!

2.     Wake – Bored of the same alarm that you’ve been waking up to for years? This app has reinvented what it means to turn off that alarm in the mornings and get out of bed. There is the SLAP & FLIP mode where you slap the screen on your phone to snooze the alarm, or flip your phone upside down to turn the alarm off. The SHAKE mode gets your body moving by making you shake the phone until the “Shake Bar” is filled and the alarm will stop ringing.  You could also choose the SWIPE method, which is the traditional way of swiping your phone to make the alarm stop. You can create your own tone to wake up to or personalize it with the built-in alarms too!

3.     Mint – Want to keep a better track of your finances? Mint combines your bills, bank accounts, and credit cards into one app, and helps keeps track of your payments and spending. Everything is in one place—you can get reminders, pay on the spot, and get alerts when your account is getting low or your credit limit is near!

4.     Tilt – The easiest way to collect money from a group. This no-cash system allows you to invite friends on the app, perhaps for going on a party bus, selling T-shirts for an event, or for big group dinners, and have everyone contribute easily. This app is slightly different from others because on Tilt, everyone can see who has and who hasn’t paid their parts. It puts pressure on those who haven’t paid because everyone will know who they are. This app gets rid of the hassle of dealing with physical money and ensures people will be paid back!

5.     Chromecast – The Chromecast app allows you to stream media from your phone directly to your TV or speakers. This can be anything from music to videos to movies or to iPhone games. It’s great for when people are around and you want to put up something fun on the screen for everyone to see!

6.     OpenTable – OpenTable is a great tool to search for new restaurants and make reservations right on your phone! You can instantaneously look up menus, reviews, and photos from restaurants and choose a fun place to eat. This app is especially helpful when you are looking to go out for dinner with a party on the larger side (like 10+ people) because you can search for restaurants that can accommodate your party and have available reservations! You can also send OpenTable invitations to friends so that everyone is on the same page, and you can send your reservations to your calendar! This app is really useful and since it is increasing in popularity, even more restaurants are starting to use it!

7. Slide – Slide is an app where you share photos with the people closet to you…literally!  It is the first photo sharing app based on proximity.  When you share a picture, it automatically sends to everyone who has the app around you.  With the “slide” of your finger, your photo will be shared with everyone within 200 feet of you.  As long as they have the app, they can see the photo.  You don’t need to have any digits!  This is a great way to meet people at all sorts of different events, such as concerts, a night out, or even just at a restaurant.

Photos courtesy of the Apple App Store

Victoria is a senior at Santa Clara University and is a History and Spanish double major with double minors in Political Science and Anthropology. A native Los Angelino, she's a huge Kings & Dodgers fan & will defend her favorite teams fiercely. Lover of Netflix, popcorn, & mint moose tracks ice cream. You can basically count on finding her snacking, binge-watching Game of Thrones, or in the library (sometimes all three at the same time).