alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Summer Plan Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

No summer plans yet? Are you still scrambling trying to figure out what the heck you’re going to be doing with your wasted time away from Santa Clara? Well, have no fear. I’m here to enlighten you with some of the most productive summer ideas.

1. Get ahead on your course load

Tons of SCU students know they want to go abroad from the minute they reach campus. Unfortunately, for some engineering and science majors, there’s a chance that studying abroad for a quarter will jeopardize their ability to graduate on time. Take summer courses that fulfill the units you’re supposed to take junior year. (Pro tip: summer courses mean more units and better course scheduling times).

2. Get in shape

If you’ve always wanted to be on one of SCU’s sports teams, but never thought you were good enough—or if you just want to be in better shape—summer is the perfect time to get to it. Your biggest excuse for avoiding the gym is that you don’t have time; now you have the time! Make a workout routine, and stick to it! Find friends to motivate you, and before you know it, you’ll be back at school, ready to tear up the intramural soccer field.

3. Learn to cook

Living off campus next year and unsure how you’ll survive without fine Benson dining? Spend some of your free time learning how to cook your favorite meals…lots of them, so you’re not stuck eating the same things ever day. You’ll thank me later.

4. Road trip

I know I’m not alone when I say that I would devote my entire summer to traveling—if I only had the money. Road tripping is the perfect way to explore new areas on a budget. Get a group of friends together, find a fuel efficient and travel-sized car, and plan out the perfect route to visit some new U.S. cities.

5. Binge-watch Netflix

Sometimes, a school year at Santa Clara just takes it out of you. If you believe that an entire summer of nothing but Netflix will help you recover and prepare for next year, Im not judging. You do you.

Photo 2 source: Jack Bayless

Tatum is a new member to Her Campus Santa Clara, and is excited for the opportunity to write articles for her peers! She is a freshman bioengineering major, but has been interested in journalism since high school. Tatum is an active member in her sorority and a long-distance runner. She hopes to complete her third marathon within the next year!