5 Quick and Healthy Breakfasts to Grab Before Your 8 AM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

It’s 7:30 AM on a Monday morning, and you somehow have to be dressed, fed, and mentally awake within the next 30 minutes for your dreaded 8 AM class.  This seemingly impossible task seems even more impossible without your morning cup of coffee, however only consuming caffeine in the mornings will not provide beneficial long-term effects.  We hear it everywhere, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day,” although when you’re in a rush, it can be so easy to skip this meal.  However, eating breakfast every morning actually boosts your metabolism and can prevent weight gain (say goodbye to the freshman 15!).  But, when there are 27 people in front of you in line on Tapingo for Mission Bakery, or when you don’t have time to eat an omelet, here are five easy breakfasts to make before your 8 AM – and all can be done from the comfort of your dorm room!

1. Banana and Almond Butter

Most especially for those who refrain from eating dairy, almond butter is great source of protein, and it tastes great!  Bananas are an essential food for every day consumption, most especially because of their high potassium content.  I suggest slicing a banana lengthwise and spreading almond butter on it.  It takes maybe 20 seconds to make, yet the high protein content will keep you full for ages!

2. Chia Seed Pudding

My personal favorite, chia seed pudding, is a great alternative to cereal, which is often high in carbohydrates and low in protein.  Chia seeds, the new superfood, expand to about ten times their size when exposed to liquid, and contain a plethora of nutrients.  They are higher in calcium than milk, more potassium than a banana, and more fiber than nuts.  A variety of recipes for chia seed pudding can be found online, but my favorite contains one-part chia seeds to two parts milk, a tablespoon of maple syrup, and a dash of vanilla extract!  Just stir the ingredients and let sit overnight, and voila, a healthy and yummy breakfast for the next week!  Try adding diced strawberries and candied pecans, you’ll never go back to boring Cheerios.   

3. Oatmeal

Whether you like to get your oatmeal from Benson or are a master of the microwaveable oats – like myself – oatmeal is a great alternative to cereal as well.  It’s low in fat, high in fiber, and can be ready in less than a minute! In addition, it will warm you up on those early mornings before your cup of coffee! A couple of the girls on the soccer team like to add peanut butter to their oatmeal, which packs extra protein and tastes great!

4. Granola and Greek Yogurt Parfait

Time to raid The Cellar!  Grab a bag of granola and a couple Fage Greek yogurts to store in your mini-fridge, and you’ll have breakfasts or a quick pick-me-up for whenever you get hungry this week!  My personal favorite is the Fage with honey, and I add in a little bit of granola to increase the protein content and keep me full for even longer!

5. Kind Bar

Your alarm never went off, and now you’ve got even less time to be ready for class.  There’s not even enough time to make a quick breakfast, and it is for these instances that I like to keep a stockpile of Kind bars.  They are high in protein and antioxidants, and you can grab them and eat them while running to class.  Pro tip: keep a couple in your school bag for the time in between back to back classes when you are in need of a quick snack!

Kirsten is a member of the class of 2018 at Santa Clara University.  Originally from Los Angeles, she attended an all-girls high school where she was highly involved in athletics.  This experience, combined with her love of writing, has contributed to her obsession with trying to eat healthy - although she is not always successful.  At SCU, Kirsten is active in her sorority and is enjoying making new friends while adjusting to the Northern Californian culture.  However, she still refuses to say "hella" and will forever be a Dodgers fan.