This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Oil diffusers > Candles. I had to say it!

After having bought an oil diffuser over a year ago, I can assure you that it is well worth the cost. Oil diffusers are the greatest gift for a college girl and her living space. We no longer need to spend money on multiple scented candles. Instead, we can spend a small amount on an oil diffuser and a few different oils. By purchasing one oil diffuser, instead of wasting multiple candles per year, you can do your part in keeping the environment clean and waste-free. The oils needed for a diffuser usually come in a variety pack of 6 and, on average, last over 5 years. Saving the environment and saving money: check!

Oil diffusers release natural oils, such as my favorites like lavender and chamomile, into the air to help your room smell better and make you feel more relaxed. The soothing smell of lavender when studying may even motivate you to study more; it sure works with me!

Reading Little Women with a cuppa tea
Photo by Micheile Henderson from Unsplash

Some research studies have actually noted the relaxing effects of essential oils on the mind and body. They help reduce stress and tension, as well as increase feelings of peacefulness and calmness. Oil diffusers are not only science-backed, but they also smell lovely! What more is there to like? 

Before you run off to another website and start searching for possible oil diffusers to buy, these three oil diffusers may help make your shopping easier. These three oil diffusers are great because of their low price, how aesthetic they are, and how well they work.

Gurunanda Honeycomb Diffuser

This oil diffuser is currently one of the cheapest diffusers on the market at only $15! It’s also an “amazon’s choice” product, further validating how successful the product is for the price. It includes a soothing cover that changes to the most beautiful colors and a honeycomb design that will definitely catch your eye. I recommend placing this on the corner of your desk to gaze at, especially if you ever want to take a peaceful study break or need to stare at something else besides your class lecture. Reviewers have especially noted how much mist is released from the top and how it easily fills up your entire room with intoxicating scents.

Urpower Essential Oil Diffuser

If you do not want to constantly fill your oil diffuser, then I recommend purchasing the Urpower Essential Oil Diffuser. At $15, this oil diffuser has a very large tank, which means that it is able to hold more water and oil than a conventional oil diffuser. For a college student, I think this is especially time-saving because we no longer need to remember to check on our oil diffuser. Instead, it is assured that the liquid in this oil diffuser will last for more than one day. Although this diffuser does not change colors, it still has a very aesthetically pleasing dark wooden look. If you live in a house, such as a sorority house, this will definitely help send a pleasing aroma to all your fellow housemates and create the most relaxing environment ever.

SpaRoom Pure Mist Aromatherapy Diffuser

Have you ever wondered whether an oil diffuser could automatically switch off? Well, your question has been answered! This $20 Diffuser automatically switches off after three hours of use. As a college student, this is especially helpful if you fall asleep with your diffuser on. Essential oils help people fall asleep more easily, a huge plus for all us college students who are sleep deprived and rely on melatonin. In fact, this diffuser’s changing colors may also help to put you to sleep. Good to know there is a timer to automatically switch this glowing diffuser off, thus ensuring a comfortable slumber!

Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!