Why I Loved “Power Rangers”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

I remember watching Power Rangers when I was very little. Whenever it was on it was like I was glued to my seat, my eyes always looking for my favorite, the Yelow Ranger. As I grew up I didn’t really keep up with the Power Rangers, but I was obviously excited when I was at the movie theater and BAM a Power Rangers trailer.

I’d been reading a few different reviews, one even said to set my expectations low and I’d be surprised. I went it and I actually thought the movie was fantastic! It was obviously funny, but it wasn’t annoying. You know how movies with all young actors are sometimes not all that because the writers make the characters do these crazy things that make you like them not so much? These characters were not like that, I thought it was very realistic (for a superhero movie), in most movies where normal people become super strong and amazing superheroes they normally get the hang of things very quickly. Not these Power Rangers.

They were teenagers who had no idea what they were doing, and I found that very endearing. Many times in superhero movies the teenagers fumble and stumble a little here and there, then out of nowhere thy know exactly what they are supposed to do. 

Everytime something was going to happen and I thought “Obviously they’ll make it” “No one is actually going to die” I was proven wrong. Like when they are driving fast to make it past the train, I thought they would barely make it and then their car gets hit! Then there was Rita threatening to kill them, I thought no one was going to die (Duh!) and then she kills Billy (he is later revived). This movie turned stereotpical topics around and actually shocked me.

Power Rangers was not only about the action, it also had a very special meaning. Time and again we got to see the Rangers come together, really come together, and admit that they needed each other. In a world where many people feel alone, I think this message is important. 

There was action, and friendship, these characters actually cared about one another. They bonded over this crazy thing that was happening to them and they became real friends who loved each other. 

There was also diversity in these actors, there is a line in the movie, “different colors, different kids, different colored kids” and I thought that was absolutely awesome. Billy with his unidentified mental issue, gay Trini, mean girl turned nice Kimberly, misunderstood Jason, and fake bad boy actually scared to death Zack. These characters spoke to various groups of people and I thought that was extremely refreshing.

Cover

Images: 1, 2, 3

SCSU Campus Correspondant. Communication major, journalism minor.