Why I Love TED Talks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

Technology has drastically altered the way we access information. Our parents might suggest that it has made us lazy because internet has allowed us to find answers quickly, perhaps we have lost the patience for libraries and textbooks.

It’s true, technology has created a culture of fast paced learning but it has also broadened the scope from which we learn. TED is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization that shares the ideas of brilliant, expert minds from all over the world. Authors, poets, scientist, entrepreneurs, teachers, and young adults from every corner. Their inspiration is contagious and their wisdom is something I yearn for.

If you have yet to watch Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk “Do Schools Kill Creativity?” You are missing out. He has worked to foster school systems that focus on high quality teachers and broadening a curriculum that encourages individualism. Creativity has value that the public school system fails to appreciate. Teachers are quick to tell you when you are wrong but they never ask why you thought it was right. 

If you love the art of spoken word, you are going to melt at this TED talk done by Sarah Kay. 

Tim Urban’s presentation was a look “inside the mind of a master procrastinator.” Through both wit and humor, Urban does a fantastic job making us feel good about chronic procrastination. He reasons that people who tend to procrastinate, actually think and develop ideas better. It is as informative as it is hilarious. 

Sharing ideas has never been easier thanks to technology, and the wonderful people who take part in it. No matter who you are, if you are brilliant, confused, happy, sad, an artist or a parent, TED offers something for everyone.

This is a place for all of us to connect. 

To see more: https://www.ted.com/

Cover

Photos: 1, 2, 3