Things I Learned After I Transferred Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

College is one of the biggest changes that a person has to adapt to. It’s a huge adjustment, especially if you opt to go to a school that’s far away. You learn the advantages of freedom and also its consequences. You have to look out for yourself and live with roommates and deal with the problems that may arise. You are able to create your own schedule and go to class at your leisure, meanwhile learning to manage your time with homework, extracurriculars, and free time. It can get hectic quickly and sometimes these problems result in the decision to transfer home.

I spent my freshman year in a university in New York. It’s not far away, but when you’re not home with your family, it can get lonely and homesickness hits when least expected. It was my first year of college and my first time living in a new state. I had never moved away from my parents and sibling before, so this change was drastic to me and it took me a while to learn to deal with it.

The decision to come home was made pretty quick. Once I had my mind set on coming home, that was all I thought about. The biggest reason why I transferred is because I really missed home, and especially because my grandmother wasn’t doing well. I felt that I had missed out on a lot, and I hated the feeling. I applied to Southern during my second semester in New York. I had made some great friends at my first school and I was sad to leave them, but I was excited to come home and begin a new adventure. If I had never decided to come home, I wouldn’t have experienced events that have changed my perspective on my life and life in general.

I came to the realization that I missed having my family around. It was difficult to go to and from home because everyone was busy and I had a pile of homework that I had to do. Now that I am home, I get to see my family when I want to and I don’t have to wait weeks on end to see them.

I realized that I wanted to change my major when I came to Southern. I still have no idea what I was to focus on specifically, but when I came here, I realized that I wanted to change my major to something I was passionate about, kids! 

Time management is the most important thing that I learned when I began my fall semester at Southern. I resumed working at my first job and also got a second one. Juggling school and homework, and work is difficult, but I am still learning and I am continually improving my skills.

If you are having doubts about choices you’ve made regarding school, talk to someone who has been through it. They will help you realize things you haven’t thought about before and will help you make an educated decision on whether you really want to transfer home or stay at school.

Cover

Photo: 1,2,4,5

Photo 3: Tori Samatulski

A coffee obsessed twenty year old. Music enthuiast. Bookworm. Addicted to all things Disney (Wreck-It Ralph is her favorite movie.)  Second year student at SCSU as a Pre-Early Education major.