Depressed? It’s More Common Than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

There’s something that’s prevalent in college campuses but often whispered about among peers. Ready? Cue drumrolls. Depression. 

What’s with college students and depression? In 2013, approximately 34 percent of college students were battling depression, according to the American Psychological Association. Why are we so vulnerable to it? Is it the new alien environment? The demanding courseload? The revelation that we’ve crossed over into adulthood?

In some ways college is a microcosm of the big scary world around us. There is no hand-holding anymore. The parents who nag us about chores disappear into the background. The teachers who would humiliate us because we didn’t buckle down and get our academic responsibilities over with are consigned to the wasteland of nightmares. Drama, unless we actively seek for it, is not so quick to reach us. Simply put, we can finally say we’re independent. 

But isn’t that what we wanted? Independence? The freedom to make our own decisions? The opportunity to shape ourselves into a long dreamed-about superhuman? 

Perhaps our desire to attain perfection in a world that demands it of us is to blame. We measure ourselves against our high-performing peers. We split ourselves in half and scrutinize our flaws like bacteria under a microscope. We envy classmates who make impeccable look effortless. Naturally, our self-esteem often comes out bruised and sore. But that’s not all. 

College does not only usher in a new era; it also heralds new friendships. Here, you’ll learn who your true friends are. Sadly, we soon find that these are scarce. This light-bulb moment might well trigger another bout of depression. I wish I could supply more comforting words, but you can’t change your environment; you can only adapt to it.

Friends will blow into your life. They’ll be with you for a little while, and you’ll even bask in the warmth of what appears to be an everlasting friendship. And then just when you’ve settled into the comfort of their presence, they’ll bid their farewells. Poof. See ya.

Although sometimes all we need is ourselves, depression is a monster in its own category. How do you fight something that’s bigger than you? It is more than just having a bad day; it’s dealing with a profound, inexplicable sadness that baffles even us. How can we inoculate ourselves against it? I would suggest finding yourself a reliable network of friends, but if that’s impossible, here’s the next best thing: seek professional help. Perhaps one of the worst things we can do to ourselves is to wear a mask and tell the world we’re okay. If we’re not okay, we’re not okay. It’s okay to admit it. Don’t blush to confess it. 

Our sacrifices will mean nothing if our emotional health is deteriorating. College is too expensive to just “get by.” Remember that, above all, our health comes first–be it emotional or physical. Forget the stigmas clinging to mental health. Depression is not something we imagine for the sake of imagining. Depression is a serious illness that can only be treated with the love and support of others. 

If you’re depressed, it means you’re experiencing a very human, albeit debilitating, emotion. It’s okay.

Photo: 1, 2, 3

Cover Image and Photo 4: Eva Rieger

Gema is a sophomore English major at SCSU. She's obsessed with writing and has a slight addiction to buying books.