9 Things I Have Learned From Going To Concerts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

Concerts are a part of mostly everyone’s life. Whether you’ve attended one or so many that you’ve lost count, there is something about them that has changed your life. As a frequent attendee of concerts myself, I have found myself in many different situations in many different places, each leaving their mark on my life and often changing it for the better. Throughout the many concerts that I’ve attended, I have picked up a few lessons and actions to avoid…

1. Going to concerts alone is okay.

I’ve always had the notion that going to concerts is weird and not as fun as going with a friend until I actually experienced one by myself. The experience can be less stressful when you attend solo, you don’t have to worry about getting separated from your friends. If you want to do something, you can because you don’t have to worry about anyone else but yourself.

2. You can make amazing friends.

This is my favorite part about going to concerts; you make the best of friends! By simply talking to people with similar interests, you can even plan meet-ups with friends you have made on social media! I’ve made some of my greatest friends just by meeting up with them at concerts. You never know, they could turn out to be your future concert buddy!

3. Find a concert buddy.

Although going to concerts alone is definitely not a bad thing, going to a concert with a friend makes it so much better. You have someone to talk to on the way there, to wait in line and joke around with, and just have the best experience with. I have found my concert buddy and also my best friend through going to the same concert two and a half years ago. From then on, we’ve gone to so many more concerts and we always have the best times together. It’s crazy what happens whenever we’re together because we never have the same experience twice, even though we’ve been to countless events together.

4. Seeing your favorite artist live is a unique experience.

There is something so intimate about seeing your favorite artists live. The energy in the room is undeniable when the fans sing back the words to the artist’s songs. It’s truly an amazing thing to be surrounded by people that share the same music taste as you. Also, performances live are so much better to listen to than the songs being recorded in a studio.

5. General admission is insane.

If you decide to purchase a GA, or general admission, ticket, hold on to your belongings and your sanity! Dress lightly because the amount of body heat that will be given off by standing in close proximity to other people is unbearable. I’ve learned to wear a simple outfit that consists of shorts and a T-shirt when attending a show with GA. But whatever you do… DON’T wear sandals!

6. Put your phone away and enjoy it!

During a lot of concerts I went to when I was younger, I had my phone out almost the entire time taking as many pictures and getting as many videos as possible. PUT THE PHONE DOWN!!! I know from experience. You will better remember the concert when you don’t let your cell phone distract you and when you immerse yourself in the experience. When I attend concerts now, I keep my phone away as much as possible and I record only a few songs that I know I’ll enjoy looking back on later.

7. The journey is (almost) as great as the destination.

Getting pumped up for a concert by listening to the artist’s music with your friends in the car is almost as exciting as actually getting to see them live. Singing their music at the top of my lungs with my friends always gets me ready for the concert!

8. Save your tickets.

As a fan who’s been to countless concerts, I want to remember them all! Let’s face it, there are too many to remember off the top of my head. Saving your ticket can be an instant memory-jogger! All I have to do is look at the ticket and I remember the day perfectly; who I went to see, how I felt while I was there, what happened, and just about everything about the experience. I keep all of my tickets in a shadow box so I can have them in one place and I can easily add to my growing collection!

9. Have fun!

You bought this ticket for a reason! Forget all of your troubles for one night and let the music you’re listening to take you away for a night. You become more engrossed into the experience this way! You also will better remember it as a good time rather than a bad time because you were thinking of all of the problems you’re dealing with. Embrace the fact that you are seeing someone that you have looked up to for a while and take everything in! Enjoy it!

A coffee obsessed twenty year old. Music enthuiast. Bookworm. Addicted to all things Disney (Wreck-It Ralph is her favorite movie.)  Second year student at SCSU as a Pre-Early Education major.
SCSU Campus Correspondant. Communication major, journalism minor.