5 Tips to Saving Money in College With A Little Help from Gossip Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

If you haven’t realized it yet, college is expensive. Aside from the tuition, there’s supplies, coffee runs, dorm essentials and so much more. Sometimes we don’t even realize how much we’re spending until one day we check our bank account and find close to nothing in it. Many of us don’t even have jobs so once we hit rock bottom we’re kind of stuck there.

Whether we realize it or not, there are plenty of ways to save money in college. Here are my top 5 tips:

1. Make your own coffee or bring a reusable mug

Caffeine is pretty much essential for any collegiette. As much as I love my pumpkin spice latte, spending $5 a day adds up quickly.

The best fix is to either make your coffee at home, or if you don’t commute and do not have a coffee maker in your dorm, keep a reusable mug with you.

When you bring your own mug campus providers will charge you for the smallest size cup! Although you’re only saving a dollar or two, that money adds up and can be put to much better use.

2. Bring your student ID when shopping

When shopping and buying food, look for places that offer discounts to college students. All you need is to flash your student ID and you can get a free food and awesome discounts. Here’s just some of the major ones:

J. Crew — 15% off all full priced items

Charlotte Russe — 10% off everything

Subway — 10% off your total purchase

Chick-Fil-A — free drink with ID

For more discounts: Student Discounts

3. Always look for sales before shopping

If a store doesn’t give a discount with your student ID, I can guarantee you that there is another way to get a discount. The majority of stores have apps that just require your e-mail in order to receive coupons and other discounts. Never go shopping without having some kind of coupon or without knowing if there’s a store-wide sale. 

4. Avoid eating out often

Ordering take out often is expensive especially if it’s adding to a meal plan. Don’t get me wrong it’s okay to treat yourself every once in a while. But ordering pizza when you have a box of granola bars in your closet is a simple decision that can easily affect your bank account. So unless it’s 3 a.m. and you don’t have a single snack in your room, try to avoid ordering take out. 

5. Rent or buy used textbooks

When books are used, they often go for a lot cheaper than their original price. Search around for the cheapest used version of the book. A book for $300 new can be found used and rebound for less than $50 if you dig a little. Check Amazon, Chegg, or any other textbook site you can find before spending too much!

Use these tips to make the most of your money and save for later endeavors. Choose wisely campus girls.

You know you love me,

xoxo

Gif/Photo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Cover

Sophomore in the Honors College at Southern Connecticut. I'm a theatre major and aspire to be on Broadway.