10 Halloween Movies To Get You Feeling Spooky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

I was never a major fan of Halloween as a kid I’m not too sure why, but I did love the candy! It was not until last year that I became a Halloween fanatic, please drown me in scary movies, Halloween decorations and all the haunted attractions set up for the season! 

Since I would like to share my Halloween cheer, I’ve compiled a fun and occasionally scary list of Halloween movies to get you in the Halloween spirit!

1 – Halloweentown (1998)

A Halloween staple for anyone who was cool enough to watch Disney Channel original movies in the the late 90’s and early 2000’s, Halloweentown offers spooky fun that won’t terrify you out of a good night sleep.

2 – Coraline (2009)

You might think that there is nothing spooky about an animated movie, but hold your horses because this one is haunting. With a horror storyline and a lonlieness to the scenes themselves that offer animated spookiness, Coraline will give you a seemingly innocent fright. Beware of your OTHER MOTHER.

3 – Hocus Pocus (1993)

A favorite to the entire world apparently! Hocus Pocus is one of the most highly anticipated movies every Halloween and the television networks know it. It is aired literally every other night, so there is no chance you will miss out on a yearly viewing.

4 – Monster House (2006) 

Having watched this one in the movies, I remember being a horrified 10 year old. Just like Coraline it gives the feeling that there is no reason to fear the plot it is only an animated movie, right? Wrong! The plot and the characters will give you an eeriness that causes a fun spook.

5 – Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride (2005)

I love the animation in Corpse Bride, although the plot might be considred ocassionally questionable and a little sad, there is really no horrible fright to the plot. It is all about the characters and the way they look, their surroundings and intentions. Another Halloween favorite!

6 – Halloween (1978) 

Though it has that “DON’T GO IN THERE!”, “DON’T DO THAT!” cheesiness to it, there is something chilling about the entire plot, the music is nerve-wracking and the image of Michael Meyers with that horrifying plain white mask. Michael lurks in the bushes, disappears into thin air, watches from a distance and can never die. Sounds spooky enough for me.

7 – The Uninvited (2009)

This one has a an eerie bizarreness to it. You see a sisterhood that cannot be broken, not even by an evil stepmother. But sometimes it is not at all what it seems.

8 – Dark Water (2005)

A suspense movie that will give you vibes of discomfort, and an unfinished story. You’ll be asking all kinds of questions, and none of your answers will come until the end. This one will leave you feeling sad and angry for everyone involved.

9 – Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (2016)

I know what you’re thinking, why would you want to watch a “romance” film for Halloween? But trust me when I say that it is not all about the romance here, there are some jump scares and some good zombie butt-kicking. And listen to me when I tell you to watch until the very end.

10 – The Witch (2016)

Don’t expect too many jump scares, if any at all, from this one. The biggest scares are the feelings you experience throughout as characters make wrong choices that lead to horrible outcomes. As the viewer all you can do sit back and shake your head, feeling sadness, pity and desperation for the family.

SCSU Campus Correspondant. Communication major, journalism minor.