Style > Beauty

Your Skin is Way Nicer Than You Think it is. Trust Me.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Growing up in a world of airbrush, photoshop, and filters, most young girls have faced unreasonable beauty standards beginning at early childhood. Not only do girls and women face expectations for body image, hair, or makeup, but even skin is expected to be smooth, clear, and bright. These sort of comparisons that companies achieve using editing tools are only seen in cartoons and do not represent what humans truly look like. Skin is slightly bumpy, it has acne, peach fuzz, and dark spots. All of these “flaws” are seen as issues that can be solved by buying products and treatments. Skincare has come a long way in the past 10 years, but there is still a huge market for products that are not truly good for your skin, and only used to trick consumers into thinking so. This misleading market traps people into feeling bad about their skin, buying products thinking they will help, and then continuing to do so all while not actually solving the problem.

Moral of the story is, if you are truly unhappy with your skin, contact a licensed dermatologist. Everybody is different, so a professional is the best way to insure your way to safe, effective products and general advice. And besides, acne and other imperfections are not the end of the world, remember that you are beautiful regardless! 

Maeve Kenny

Scranton '23

Hi my name is Maeve Kenny and I am a sophomore Advertising / Public Relations and Business Communications double major with a Social Media Strategies minor. I am on my university's field hockey team and am passionate about staying fit, self care, and staying motivated. I love to learn and try new things, and hope you enjoy some of my thoughts!
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.