Your Next Favorite Book, from the Desk of a Bookseller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Working at an independent bookstore over Jersey Shore summers is an experience I wouldn’t trade for the world; the gentle bustle of locals and tourists alike against early morning beach breezes creates a delicate beauty, an ethereal calm, that I struggle to put into words. That being said, I’ve inevitably come across hundreds of book titles, spanning all sorts of genres. Whether you’re a Colleen Hoover enthusiast, a fan of Ocean Vuong or Hanya Yanagihara’s literary fiction, or haven’t picked up a book since you read To Kill a Mockingbird or The Outsiders in eighth grade, here’s some of my recommendations for you and yours:

For The Mom Friend

Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton

What My Mother and I Don’t Talk About edited by Michele Filgate

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (Now an Amazon Prime Video limited series!)

For The Hopeless Romantic

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Every Summer After by Carley Fortune

You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle

For The Deep Friend

I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy (Written by the actress who played Sam Puckett in Nickelodeon’s iCarly!)

Humanly Possible Seven Hundred Years of Humanist Freethinking, Inquiry, and Hope by Sarah Bakewell

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

For The Die-Hard Feminist

Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo

A Woman is No Man by Etaf Rum

Know My Name by Chanel Miller

Hi! I'm Faith and I'm an English major with Writing and Philosophy minors at the University of Scranton! I absolutely love writing, reading, and listening to music, along with theater, black tea lemonade, and "When Harry Met Sally" ◡̈