This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

This is the time of year where everything feels droopy. Although we have Christmas lights brightening the streets, the days feel shorter and it’s usually dark by the time any of us have a free moment. Often, the things we may like to do when we have spare time might seem like an impossible task. However, if taking a walk makes you happy, then go take that walk- bundle up with a huge puffy jacket, gloves and hat. Enjoy the crisp winter air. 

Don’t make excuses to avoid doing activities you find joy in during the other seasons. Sometimes the best feeling is just snuggling up in a blanket with a cup of tea or hot chocolate while reading. Or if you’re not the type to read, go watch a good movie! Don’t stop taking care of yourself because of the weather shift. 

It’s easy to get lost in the gloomy nights. However, your mental state is going to decline during this time of year if you allow it to. You must keep yourself active and bright, despite the dark skies at 5pm. This time of the year can be especially hard battling loneliness. If you notice yourself falling down a slope, try to reach out. People do care and will understand. Who knows, maybe that person you reach out to is feeling the same way and now you both have someone to vocalize it to.

I am currently a junior majoring in psychology at the University of Scranton. I am Scranton born and raised. I plan on attending grad school after completing my studies at the University. I also love to write about almost anything especially in regards to mental health.
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.