Why Taylor Swift Fans Should Listen to Maisie Peters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

If you are a fan of Taylor Swift and are looking for a new artist to obsess over, you might want to give Maisie Peters a listen. Maisie Peters is a 22-year-old pop-rock singer from the UK who released two albums: her EP, and more recently, The Good Witch.

Her new album was released this summer and talks about new relationships, confusing exes, and everything in between. It’s a mix of multiple Taylor Swift eras as Maisie takes fans on an emotional rollercoaster with feelings of empowerment, spite, sass, and pain. Previously in her career, she has toured with Ed Sheeran after her debut album was released the year before in 2022.

Her album, The Good Witch, is composed of 15 tracks and recently, a deluxe version was released with six more songs! “Lost the Breakup” and “You’re Just a Boy (And I’m Kinda the Man)” gives off empowering vibes and are similar to Taylor’s songs, “The Man” and “I Bet You Think About Me.”

While she has not been around as long as Taylor, I believe her songwriting skills could be as good as Taylor’s in the future. Maisie’s song, “Wendy,” is heartbreaking as it is about someone who struggles with commitment, but continues to go back and forth. Similar to this, “Two Weeks Ago” is about wanting to turn back time before everything ends with somebody. Both of these songs sound like they should be in Evermore or even Folklore.

Her song, “The History of Man,” discusses the common experience girls have of being abandoned by someone they like. Similar to Taylor, her music reaches people by writing about a universal experience and putting it into words that others might not be able to. “Better Body”, which might be my favorite on this album, puts a fun spin on this same topic. It reminds me of something you would hear on Speak Now because of the sass in the song while talking about her being naive. I definitely recommend giving this one a listen if you have not already.

If all of this has not sold you on listening to Maisie Peters, then you should listen because she is a fan of Taylor herself! She just toured this summer and will perform different covers of Taylor’s songs. Maisie even revealed “Back to December” was her favorite song, so it’s no coincidence their music sounds similar if she’s pulled inspiration from Taylor! Her songwriting and connection with her audience makes Maisie Peters a must listen for fans of Tae Mcrae, Olivia Rodrigo, and even Taylor Swift!

Alex Dipre

Scranton '25

Hi! I'm Alex, an Early and Primary Education major. On my free time I like reading, listening to music, and hanging out with friends. One of my favorite quotes is "everything that is real was imagined first"