Why Study Abroad Friends Make the Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Sophomore year I hopped on an airplane to what I didn’t know would be the absolute best five months of my life. I made the decision to study abroad in London not because I “needed to find myself” but because I always had an itch for traveling. After my long flight, I landed in Europe not knowing a single soul – but that didn’t last long. After the first week of classes I managed to find people with the same interests and desires as me. Who would have thought we would become life long best friends? Aside from the traveling, the friends you make along the way end up being the best memories.

Your study abroad friends… desire to see the world, just as you do.

Your study abroad friends… were just as lost as you were in the streets of London/Paris/Spain/ALMOST EVERY WHERE YOU WENT!

Your study abroad friends… most likely cried or slept (OR BOTH) in an airport over night with you.

Your study abroad friends…understood your need for McDonalds in every county…just a little taste of home. 

Your study abroad friends…wanted to try every food item on the menu as do you, but this was a judgment free zone as you stuffed your face with pasta, desserts and every signature item that country had to offer.

Your study abroad friends… were ALWAYS down to drink three bottles of wine every night with you because what else would you do in a foreign country?

Your study abroad friends…respected that you missed your mommy just as much as they did.

Your study abroad friends…experienced some of the same ‘firsts’ with you.

Your study abroad friends…will never get bored of your abroad stories because they lived them too.

Your study abroad friends…understood the photo you want and made sure you got the best one to Instagram.

Your study abroad friends…cried in the middle of the street when it was time to depart at the end of our journey.

Your study abroad friends…most likely not from the same hometown, but this gives you an excuse to travel yet again.  

Your study abroad friends…agree that when you see them – it’s like you never left one another. 

SHOUT OUT TO HEAVEN, JILLIAN, ALEXA, SARAH (&ALL OF FLAT H FOR TAKING ME UNDER YOUR WING) LOVE&MISS YOU ALL! 

Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?