Why Everyone Should Rescue: The Story of Elsie and Scout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

When deciding where to get a new pet, the thought of purchasing an adorable pure bred puppy can be extremely tempting. However, adopting a rescue animal can truly benefit your life in ways you would never expect as well as save the life of an unwanted animal.

Last summer my family decided that it was time we adopted a dog. Since we are a cat family and had never owned a dog, we turned to our dog loving neighbors for advice and possible organizations to find a new member to our family. My neighbors had previously rescued two of their dogs from Shaggy Dog Rescue and told us just how much of a difference this organization makes in the lives of stray dogs.

Shaggy Dog Rescue is a small non-profit organization dedicated to saving the lives of mutts from high kill shelters in Houston, Texas. They focus on providing rescue services, vet care, foster care, and adoption to stray and abandoned dogs. After hearing about their inspiring mission, we immediately started browsing their website for a potential addition to our family.

The search paid off when we found Elsie, an adorable puppy that we immediately fell in love with. When we heard that her entire liter was available to be rescued, my neighbors decided to rescue her sister Scout. Both puppies were transported together to Connecticut to meet their forever families. When the bus arrived with all of the Shaggy Dog Rescues, we could barely contain our excitement to meet the newest members of our neighborhood. We were handed our new puppies, took a group picture, then brought them home to get adjusted and comfortable in their new setting.

Even though it has been about a year since the adoption, both Elsie and Scout still look forward to the part of the day where they get to run around and play together. Every time we take Elsie on a walk past Scout’s house, she sits down in the middle of the street and refuses to move until her sister comes out and plays with her. The happiness of these dogs would not be possible if we did not rescue them together through Shaggy Dog Rescue. It not only made their transition from Texas to Connecticut easier, but also gave them another chance at life. If these dogs were not rescued, they may have been left unwanted in a shelter for years and eventually killed due to the high capacity of animals funneling through the animal shelter system. Elsie has brought so much joy and love to my family that I honestly could not imagine life without her. Elsie and Scout’s story is a prime example that rescuing pets not only positively affects the lives of the animals, but the life of the owners as well.

21, Senior, Counseling and Human Services Major and Criminal Justice Minor at the University of Scranton
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so