When Crazy Friends Attack!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

You never know when it may happen.  You won’t have time to prepare for it when it does.  No, I’m not talking about the zombie apocalypse.  I’m talking about that text you get while you’re doing work late on a Tuesday night, the one where your friend asks if you’re around.  I’m talking about when you go downstairs to open the door to let him in and find out he’s not alone.  There are two other people with him, and they’re armed with instruments and purple Post-It notes. 

Warning: they are as dangerous as zombies, so make sure to back away slowly and then run for it.  Scream while you’re running too.  You might be able to attract Public Safety.

Or, if you’re anything like me, just start laughing as you watch your two friends serenade you with their rendition of “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” and your one friend’s girlfriend sticks Post-It notes with hearts drawn on them to your dress.  Oh, and the guys may only be wearing a sash and not-quite-men’s-underwear.  What can I say about my crazy friends other than they’re crazy and I adore them regardless?  Most college students will either be part of or witness to an event where their friends are doing something so insane they’re bound to attract the attention of others.

So what do you do if you’re faced with a situation like the one I was faced with?  There you are, in the comfort of the doorway to your dorm, watching your friends do something really crazy and really loud, loud enough that you’re not the only one witnessing their performance?  Maybe you’re lucky and your friends are more clothed.  Or maybe you’re not as lucky and they’re wearing even less clothing, to which I say you’re on your own.  But, if you’re like me or the former, then I can suggest a couple of ways to survive this type of a scenario:

1. Stand by and watch your friends do what they’re doing. 
Are they performing like my friends?  Cheer them on while you’re standing there – at least they’ll know they’ve got one fan.  And if they’re not, then just bask in their insanity and make sure they aren’t overstepping any boundaries.  You don’t want anyone getting in trouble and you should all be able to enjoy a good time.  If other people show up, feel free to explain to them what’s going on. 

2. Run away. 
If you want to treat it like the zombie scenario I imagined earlier, than go for it.  I can’t imagine your friends will understand why you’re speeding away in the opposite direction, and you may upset a few of them, but they’re your friends and your friendships so you’re free to do whatever you want.

3. Don’t answer the text message. 
Text message?  What text message?  My phone’s broken!  (Warning: you may receive a text during your lie.  Try to laugh it off or act surprised.  Or you can tell the truth.)

4. Join in!
Your friends have attracted a crowd and you feel like the odd man out – so what better thing to do then join them?  You can get in on the fun with your friends, allowing all of you to have fond memories of a crazy night!

With these tips I bid you good luck!  Just try to have a good time with whichever one you pick, even if it does involve running from your friends like they’re zombies.  Remember, they’re YOUR friends, and you’ll know the best way to handle them when they’re being a little crazy.

Marie is a senior History and English double major with a minor in Writing at the University of Scranton. Aside from HerCampus, she is also president of the Royals Historical Society and active in supporting Scranton's local music scene. She can often be found wandering around campus, hanging with her friends, writing, exploring downtown, and doing work (...sometimes).
Laura is a senior at the University of Scranton. She is studying English and Psychology graduating in May 2012. Laura is the youngest of three and grew up in Newtown, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia. She is a member of the Scranton crew team, the faculty-student research project, the off campus advisory board, and recently spent part of her summer in Uganda, Africa. She enjoys baking anything in the kitchen that is sweet (specializing in chocolate), peppermint mocha's from Starbucks, running, the leaves changing in the fall, all of the Real Housewives on Bravo, and the Philadelphia Phillies!