This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As the new school year opens, your memory of the past year floods back in. Past classes, old friends, the endless hills you struggle through on your way to class… and of course, old flames. There is a lot that happens in just a semester alone that you can try to forget about over the summer, but once you are back on campus (especially one the size of Scranton’s) the reality is you will see certain faces whether you want to or not. And if this is your first year at college, chances are you will have one of these faces sooner or later.

But honey, don’t fret yet. There is no reason to dread the inevitable every time you enter DeNaples or decide to go out on the weekends. Instead of spending the first few months of school reminiscing an old flame and questioning what went wrong, you should be enjoying all the possibilities the school year has awaiting you. Of course, there are a few things you can do to speed up the “getting over it” process and we have them all ready for you to put in motion. 

Put the past in the past

Whether you want to admit it or not, there is a reason the relationship did not work itself out. So, there is no point in living in the past and holding grudges over what has been already said and done. Even if your relationship ended on a sour note it should not stay that way. Accept what happened and try to move past it in a positive light. By carrying any old baggage, you are only pulling yourself down and potentially ruining a new flame from igniting. 

Get that revenge bod off hold

There is no denying that when you finally see your ex, you want to be looking your very best. Let’s be real, they should know what they are missing out on. Our girl Khloe K said it best; “the best form of revenge is a good body.” For those that want to make that extra statement, maybe a late-night workout should be your new move instead of late night meal swipes. Even if impressing your ex is the last thing on your mind, looking good and feeling better should not be.

Live and learn

The easiest thing to do after a relationship ends is to blame the other party for every single thing that went wrong. However, it is more beneficial to learn from anything you were invested in. Your best option would be to look at your past in an unbiased fashion in order to realize what you both could have improved on, and what you are now looking for in a future relationship. Honestly speaking, the only right time to look in the past is to learn from what went wrong and use it to move forward.

You do you and I’ll do meThe most important step to moving on is loving yourself. Sure, all the time and freedom you now have available may be a little intimidating, but that truly is the fun part. You can solely decide what YOU want to do without having to consider anyone else or worrying about what your significant other is up to. Spend more time with your friends, invest into your schoolwork, get involved on campus, or literally anything that peaks your interest. And if you are ready enough, put yourself back out there. There is nothing to lose by trying something, or even someone new. 

Bad relationships and breakups are just another hiccup in life we are going to have to get accustom to. They are never easy, but it isn’t anything that hasn’t been done before. So, do yourself a favor and pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and go after it!

Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.