Veronica Sinotte: From Pennsylvania to Panama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Veronica may only be a junior in college, but it’s no lie that she has an amazing future ahead of her. Having lived in Panama for a whole summer, this girl is ready to take on the world. Read on to learn more about this awesome Campus Celeb.

Name: Veronica SinotteYear: 2016Major: Biology and Philosophy double majorConcentration: Environmental StudiesHonors Programs: SJLA and The Research Honor’s ProgramHometown: North Wales, PA

What activities are you involved on in campus?

• Vice president of the ALS Club
  • Sustainably Club
  • Faculty Student Research Program

When did you know you wanted to go into biology?

I’ve always been interested in the sciences and biology. Since I was younger, I always loved the outdoors and was fascinated by the complexity of nature. As a kid I would watch Animal Planet instead of Nickelodeon. And the more I learned, the more interested I became.

Can you tell me about your time spent in Panama, and how you were able to take part in such an amazing experience?

My freshman year I applied to be a research intern for the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) through a partnership the University of Scranton had with the institution. There, I studied at a field station bordering the Panama Canal. I lived in a town called Gamboa, an hour outside of Panama City. I explored the biodiversity of tropical microbes and their relationships with different insects and plants. Upon returning to school, I continued my research and extended my project to fit the environment of Scranton, PA.

How do you think your experience affected your professional and personal lives?

Professionally, this experience guided my decision of going into research, in particular microbiology and ecology. I wasn’t always sure what field of biology I would go into, and my time in Panama really helped me figure things out. Also, I was able to increase and create new foundational skills that I know I am going to use throughout my career. Lastly, this is going to benefit me greatly when I apply to graduate programs next fall!

Personally, this experience was so unique and life changing. I made life long friends from all around the world as I worked with them in the lab or traveled with them throughout Central America. Further, I was immersed in such a different culture. I had no phone, computer, etc. It really was such an awakening experience because of how different and new it all was to me. 

What was your down time like during your time in Panama?

We were lucky enough to take so many trips and do such amazing things. We would always go into the old city for dinner, drinks, and salsa dancing. One time we were able to hike up the river and visit a secluded waterfall in the middle of the forest. One of the best times though was when ten of my friends and I rented one of the San Blas islands in the Caribbean for a night.  We snorkeled in such cool reefs bordering the island, cooked our food on a campfire, and eventually fell asleep underneath the stars. 

What made you choose to go into research? And how do you think it will benefit our world?

I had absolutely no idea things were so complex until I started getting more and more into research. For example, I could spend years studying how one gene impacts the structure of a certain protein in a particular organism. It may sound really confusing and somewhat corny, but that sentence alone proves how intricate our world is and how there is so much more to be discovered.

I think research will definitely benefit us. First off, medicinal research is extremely important and can have immediate benefits. But I think people overlook ecology and environmental studies, which is what I’m really interested in. It’s part of our world, and we need to protect it. We also benefit from our environment in ways that people usually don’t realize. For example, over three-quarters of pharmaceuticals have come from or been based on bioactive compounds found in plants that come from North America!

What is your future plans pertaining to research?

In all honesty, it’s sometimes hard to plan so far ahead in the future because I’m still a college student at the moment. As I stated previously I hope to go to graduate school, focusing on furthering my studies in environmental microbiology and ecology. Overall, my exact path is unclear, but I don’t mind because the unknown is really exciting for me. So, this summer I am hoping to return to the Smithsonian to study the impacts of climate change on the microbial communities and their role in carbon cycling. 

If you could describe your experience at Scranton thus far in one word, what would it be?

Unpredictable.

What would be your main piece of advice to incoming freshman?

Don’t ever be afraid to try new things!

Julia Troost is a born and raised New Yorker, which comes as no shock once you hear her accent. She is a current senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Occupational Therapy with a minor in Psychology. Having a love for writing and fashion from a young age, HerScranton allows Julia to take a break from the sciences and embody her inner Carrie Bradshaw (circa late 2004). You’ll never see her without a smile on her face or yelling at people to “be optimistic!” Julia looks forward to completing her clinicals at prestigious NYC hospitals, and ultimately working with war veterans.
Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!