A Tourist’s Holiday Guide To NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Those who live in the New York area probably already know how great New York City is. But New York City in the winter is even better! No matter where you’re from, you need to experience these holiday traditions at least once in your life. And the best part is, even when you think you have seen it all, you haven’t- there’s always more to see. Check out some of my favorites below:

Santa comes to Town

The start of the holiday season begins when the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade ends. The very end of the parade shows Santa coming to a stop in front of Macy’s department store. It’s really exciting to see this in person, but you could also watch it on your TV at home.

Wollman Rink in Central Park

Wollman Rink is one of the many ice skating rinks in NYC open all winter. I find myself here at least once every year either skating or people watching. It’s a nice place to enjoy the cold weather while viewing the Manhattan skyline.

The Rockettes

Don’t miss out on seeing the Radio City Christmas Spectacular Show. Their long days of practice definitely pay off. You’ll see their flawless dance moves paired with classic Christmas music to get everyone in the holiday spirit!

Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree  This beautifully decorated tree is a tourist favorite. You’ll probably recognize it from the background of many, many, Instagram pictures during the holidays. 

5th Avenue Holiday Window Displays

Most people dread both holiday shopping and shopping in NYC. Now combine them and try holiday shopping in NYC. You’ll have to fight through many crowds of tourists, but seeing the holiday window displays on 5th avenue is worth it.

Union Square Holiday Market Visit Union Square Holiday Market for tons of great artists and delicious food. This is one of my favorite places to shop for handmade, unique, gifts for everyone on my shopping list.

Stephanie Koenig is a twenty-year-old junior at the University of Scranton seeking a degree in Inbound Marketing!
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so