This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

While I do enjoy listening to various types of music and not just sticking to one genre, I never go too long without listening to my country playlist. From TikTok videos to the Billboard charts, country music seems to be experiencing an uptick in popularity. Of course, enjoying country music is not a new or unique concept, but the genre does seem to be recruiting new faces.

During Super Bowl LVIII Beyoncé appeared in a commercial for Verizon. At the end of the commercial, she announced that she would be releasing new music. The two new songs “16 Carriages” and “Texas Hold ’EM” are mostly clearly categorized as country. Beyoncé has previously stepped into the country genre with her song “Daddy Lessons” from her 2016 album Lemonade. Beyoncé’s appreciation for and involvement in country music is a testament to her southern roots since she grew up in Houston, Texas. “Texas Hold ‘EM” and “16 Carriages” have seen immense support and success. On Tuesday, February 20th, “Texas Hold ‘EM” appeared on the number one spot of Billboard’s Hot Country Songs. Above all, Beyoncé’s success in country music is reflective of her unmistakable ingenuity and ability to transition between multiple genres. Her newfound presence in the country genre will likely bring new listeners and expand the genre.

Lana Del Rey is another non-country artist who has expressed that her future work will incorporate a country flair, which she announced at the Billboard Power 100 Party. This announcement followed her cover of John Denver’s “Take Me Home, Country Roads.” Lana and Beyoncé are just two of the many pop artists who have added country music to their discography. Post Malone, who typically records rap, performed Joe Diffie’s “Pickup Man” with country artists Morgan Wallen and HARDY at the 2023 Country Music Awards.

It is interesting to consider why artists who typically record non-country music are choosing to shift into the country world. For some artists who grew up in rural areas, the choice to include the country genre in their musical repertoire is likely one that was made to commemorate and reflect upon their upbringing in a fresh way.

While country music can sometimes be given the reputation of being too thematically predictable and closed off to outsiders, I believe that now more than ever the country music scene is captivating a diverse blend of voices and listeners. I’m eagerly anticipating the country songs from Beyoncé and Lana’s new albums!

Fiona Killeen

Scranton '26

I am a sophomore psychology major from Rockland County, New York.