Met Gala Gown
Met Gala Gown
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

The 10 Best Looks From The 2022 Met Gala

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As a lover of all things fashion, art and aesthetics, I was over the moon when news broke that the theme of the 2022 Met Gala would be the Gilded glamour as the second part of the exhibit In America: An Anthology of Fashion. I was excited to see a variety of modern takes and critiques on classic looks. 

Last night, the annual Met Gala charity event returned, bringing out some of the biggest stars to celebrate Old Hollywood glamour and the Gilded Age. As always, some looks knocked it out of the park; some looks were seriously lacking or giving too much. Without further ado, here are my takes on the best looks at the 2022 Met Gala. 

Blake Lively in Versace

Hot take but not really: Every year, Blake is easily the best dressed. She delivers the over-the-top, regal looks the Met Gala is known for. Her intricately detailed dresses, inspired by the architecture of New York, with her iconic trains are show-stopping. Her makeup, hair, and accessories make the ensemble art. It all flows together beautifully, and she never disappoints with her regal looks.

Kim Kardashian in vintage Jean Louis  

As per usual, Kim stole the show with an iconic look. She dazzled in Marilyn Monroe’s iconic “Happy Birthday Mr. President” dress. The transformation Kim did to make it happen shows her dedication to fashion as art. She had to adhere to a super strict diet to fit in the exact measurements of the dress as it could not be altered and bleached her hair to complete the transformation.

To the people seemingly outraged, Kim Kardashian is the Marilyn Monroe of our generation. Marilyn was as controversial and oversexualized in her time as Kim is in ours. In sixty years someone will be wearing Kim’s iconic outfits to the Met. Not only that, Kim and Pete were absolutely adorable on the red carpet. As the Tiktok sound goes, how does it feel to live my dream? 

Jodie Turner-Smith in Gucci

One of the most iconic looks of the night easily goes to the twenties-inspired look that featured a beaded, fringed leotard with a full skirt from Gucci. Her makeup, hair, and pearl jewelry effortlessly pulled together the vibe of the twenties. 

Maude Apatow in Miu Miu

Another beautiful twenties-inspired look! Maude Apatow is the most underrated Euphoria style icon. Whether it’s on Instagram, on the red carpet, or at the Met- every look she wears is serving elegance. It was a simple, but powerful look paying homage to twenties flapper fashion. 

Emily Ratajkowski in Versace

Kim Kardashian was not the only one to bring back an iconic ensemble, Emily Ratajkowski wore iconic 90s model Yasmeen Ghauri’s original Versace look from 1992. Em Rata always looks gorgeous, but this look definitely stood out amongst the other moments of the night. 

Lily Aldridge in Khaite:

Lily Aldridge understood the assignment. She fully embraced the glitz and glamor of the gilded glamour theme. The elegant custom design was covered in 170,000 crystals and took hours of skilled craftsmanship to complete. Her look was tied together by matching gloves and a headpiece. It was easily one of the most understatedly iconic of the night. 

Tessa Thompson in Carolina Herrera

The Met Gala is infamous for iconic big ball gowns, and Tessa Thompson definitely took that trend to new heights this years. She stole the show in a list baby pink Carolina Herrera dress which featured two hundred meters of gathered tulle and and an external corset. She took a modern twist that still acknowledged the scene.

Paloma Elesser in Coach

Everything about this look was serving iconic glamorous. The custom satin corset paired with a hand embroidered lace skirt perfectly paid homage to thirties fashion. The peal necklace and glam elevated the look and made it one of the most underratedly stunning of the night.

Nicola Coughlan in Richard Quinn

Bridgerton’s Nicola Coughlan had one of the most uniquely show stopping looks of the whole night. The feathery black and pink gown had beautiful detailing was the perfect amount of over the top fashion for the Met Gala. Her matching makeup and sleek hair tied together the ensemble.

Megan Thee Stallion in Moschino

Megan understood the assignment with the most iconic, on theme look of the night. Her beautiful gold gown balanced a high slit, cut outs and feathered should pads with a simple shoe and matching makeup and nails. She looked like a gilded goddess and was easily one of the best dressed stars of the night.

Honorable mention: Sebastian Stan
Sebastian Stan cosplaying as SNL Kim Kardashian was everything. It was actually very on the theme of Anthology of American Fashion and was hilarious. I don’t care what anyone says, he understood the assignment.

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.