A ‘Thank You’ Letter to Miley Cyrus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Miley,

What can I say about you that hasn’t already been said? You are so many things to so many people. In this letter, I wish to tell you what you, your work, your music and your achievements mean to me.

The world began to see you in a different light with the release of your “Bangerz” album, as did I. Honestly, you freaked people out with your twerking and your tongue wagging, but I’m here to tell you that I never let any of that stuff phase me – I believed in your progress. Even though some dismiss it, “Bangerz” is a damn good break-up album. You showed emotions through your songs as you never did before. I want to personally thank you for “Maybe You’re Right” because it hit home for me as I’m sure it did and still does for so many others.

Don’t even get me started on “Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz.” I wish I could write music like you, dude. This album is so true to you, and that’s what makes it so special. As the title implies, most songs on the album are written about and dedicated to animals from your life who have passed. I can’t tell you how much “The Floyd Song (Sunrise)” means to me. I still don’t know how you perfectly displayed the emotions that come with losing a dog, or better yet, a best friend.

But music isn’t your only achievement in life. You’re an activist. Whether it be animals or the LGBT community, you use your platform to be a voice for those who don’t have one. Your Happy Hippie Foundation for homeless LGBT youth brought to light an issue that very few acknowledge. You were honored at the Inspiration Gala for amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research, for doing what you do with HH. Speaking of HH, how could I ever forget your speech at the LA Women’s March? You took your foundation a step further when you announced that Happy Hippie would coordinate with Planned Parenthood. Everything you’ve done for the rights of the LGBT community and women’s health pushed me to find a career in the advocacy field, and girl, I did just that. As for the vegan lifestyle, I’m nowhere near, but I get it and vow to give it a go one day.

You never fail to support the people and things that you care for. You are so open about the love you share with your family. Who could forget the way you supported your sister, Noah, at the Billboard Music Awards this year? Or how about that time you visited children in the hospital just to brighten their day? I certainly remember the feeling I got watching the video you posted on Twitter the morning after Election Day – you didn’t have to be vocal about your political views, but you were because you always fight for what you believe in. Even more, I commend you for the way you handled the election. There is too much divide and rage in our country at the moment. You knew that, and so you asked your supporters to not get angry, but to get hopeful and to work with the new administration toward the progression of individual rights instead of tearing it down. Your heart is as big as a heart can get, and you taught me to not be afraid of opening mine.

I’ll admit it – I loved Hannah Montana, but I’m so glad you left her behind. You became something greater. You showed me that it’s perfectly OK to be who you want to be, and I’ll forever be grateful for that. You probably already know that you’re an inspiration to many, but I bet you didn’t know that you’re an inspiration to me. This letter may sound overly corny, but I couldn’t care less. Thank you for being a social justice warrior, and for making it look so damn cool. Forget the haters, Miles, ‘cause somebody loves ya (me)!!!

Your friend,

Amanda

You can visit the Happy Hippie Foundation’s web page and learn more about the organization here.

Amanda Ragusa is studying toward a degree in history with a communication minor. In 2015, she studied abroad in Galway, Ireland and fell completely in love with the culture. She found a passion in creative writing and hopes to one day become a television and/or screenplay writer.
Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?