Sweet Salvation! Trending Without $pending

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As most of us are aware, the Salvation Army is an international charitable organization that provides used clothing and home furnishings practically for free.

Its red badge logo doesn’t exactly draw the attention of modern day fashionistas, BUT what a lot of us don’t know is that the inside is an endless collection of vintage clothes! We know history repeats itself (your mom is still salty about throwing out her leggings and denim jackets from the 80’s) and what could be better than getting all the latest fads for pennies? Check out six of these stylin salvy picks below!

1. Big cozy sweatersThis men’s XL grey knit sweater is both comfy and cute. Guess how much we dished out for this guy? A whopping $4.99! I’m just waiting for the day the middle-aged man behind me in the Dunkin Donuts line taps my shoulder and says “Hey! I used to have that same sweater, except I donated it months ago.” What a weird coincidence…

2. Cardis for daaaaaysWe’re all guilty of wearing our summer tops year round. Come fall, we’ll just throw a cardigan over our favorite white tank and call it a day. Perfect for either layering or just tossing on when you’re in a rush, these cute cardis will have you looking like you actually tried this morning.

3. TeesWhether you’re looking for a baggy t-shirt to sleep in or a fitted one to wear out and about, Salvation Army has a huuuuuge collection. One of our favorite things to do is find graphic or sports team t-shirts and work some rookie tailoring skills to give them our own style.

4. Mom JeansMall retail stores might claim to be selling you “mom jeans” but Salvation Army literally has your mom’s jeans. Does it get any vintage-r-err? Get the real OG high-waisted mom jeans from brands like Levi and Lee. Rock the jeans as they are or cut them into shorts!

5. Pullovers and noodies (no hooded hoodies=noodies)Say what you want, but the pullovers and noodies are never going out of style. Fall is around the corner and we’ll all need team apparel for those chilly football games tailgates… Here are last week’s pickups just in time for football season!

6. Hats on Hats on HatsThe only thing we love more than doing our hair everyday is not doing our hair everyday… that’s why man invented the hat, right? Salvation Army has an unreal number of cool hats to cover up that bed head of yours. Start building your hat collection for those days when you just “can’t even”…

The coolest part of shopping at Salvation Army is that there’s a story behind every piece of clothing. We don’t know if our shirt was worn when Justin Bieber embraced the previous owner at a meet and greet or when someone gave birth to her first child! (But maybe we wouldn’t want to know that). Either way, it’s the perfect way to look totes adorbs this season without breaking your bank. So go to your local Sal Val, root through the racks, get your fashion on and support the cause! And when you’re fed up with your old clothes, donate them! You may not need them anymore but somebody, somewhere does!

Brittany Lemardy is a senior at The University of Scranton majoring in strategic communication with a focus on public relations. She’s a small town girl from Pennsylvania with hopes of living in New York City someday. She loves all things fashion and laughter! Check her out on Instagram!  @brittanylemardy  
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so