diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Stay Golden: Lessons from “The Golden Girls”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Picture it. Sicily, 1944. Or just sit back and keep reading, because either way, you’ll get the same important message in a moment. The Golden Girls were arguably the most eclectic group of women ever to hit comedy television and live under one roof, but if there’s one thing that Blanche, Rose, Dorothy, and Sophia taught us, it’s that the most unlikely of people can make the dearest friends.

Growing up, The Golden Girls called me nightly and gave me an escape from the bullsh*t of everyday life. They kept me up into the early morning hours, teaching me how to make the best of a bad situation, and giving me a reason to smile and laugh in the process. But because when we grew up, the show wasn’t watched by kids our age, and particularly because I was a guy, there were very few people with whom I could share my love for Betty White, Rue McClanahan, Bea Arthur, and Estelle Getty. It takes might sound weird to say it, (and believe me, it’s difficult to type this confession,) but they were a cornerstone in my childhood, and I owe a lot of my happiness to these queens of comedy who got me out of some pretty deep ruts in my adolescence. Hell yes, I loved the stereotypical male interest like Star Wars, the armed forces, and some testosterone filled tackles at the stadium. But my guilty pleasure was kicking back and hearing the opening line of the show, “Thank you for being a friend,” because it was inviting, it was personal, and it made me feel like I was a part of their fictional life – literally addressing the audience in the first line and subsequently inviting them to travel through the funniest and most serious moments of the show in the opening credits.

Above all things, The Golden Girls taught me life lessons that I wish to share with you today, and I hope that if you ever feel so inclined, you take me on my word and give the show a shot. WHO KNOWS, SHERYL, IT MAY JUST BE YOUR NEW FAVORITE THING. I mean Betty White is LITERALLY older than sliced bread, so IF YOU LIKE SLICED BREAD, YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE FOOT IN THE DOOR. But coming back to a serious note, turn to Hallmark tonight, wait for the theme song, and see if The Girls teach you what they taught me through their timeless escapades, and what I hope to teach you:

It’s okay not to be okay. In fact it can be f**king hilarious not to be okay. But even if it takes you years to look back and laugh, one day you will, and you will smile about that little something that meant the world to you in your moment.

Say what’s on your mind, say what’s in your heart, and whatever you do, don’t tear either one apart. The best moments come when we’re honest with one another. They also come when we drop a Freudian slip like never before.

There’s nothing a good Sicilian story can’t clear up. Whether it’s a life lesson or dating advice, there’s always more to learn in life – from your family, your friends, or from Sophia.

It’s healthy to joke around and not to take everything to heart. In fact, you need to joke around. Have fun with your life, dammit, you only get one and it goes by faster than you could imagine.

And sometimes it’s okay to lose your cool. If someone ever hurts you, (and it’s bound to happen dozens of times in life,) cut the bad string and drift off to sea. You’ll find another port in time.

It’s also okay to get pissed off at your friends. In the end, it’ll all blow over, but sometimes it’s good to let off steam. (But do it with love, not malice.)

Everyone has their quirk; it’s what makes them unique. Don’t judge someone by their personal behaviors or interests, but rather, by the way they treat others. You could be lustful like Blanche,

Incensed like Dorothy,

Carefree like Rose,

Or uncensored like Sophia,

But whatever your compliment is, remember that you don’t need to go through life alone. There are other people, even the most unlikely roommates or friends, who could be the Simon to your Garfunkel or the Sonny to your Cher

And you should always be there for your friends, just as they should be there for you. Because in the end, apart from all the men, the sex, the jobs, the children, and the cheesecake, all we want is someone who loves us. And family isn’t necessarily blood. It’s the ones who stay by your side and love you for who you are. They’re the ones who will do the things with you that most others will judge you for.

But most importantly, they’re the ones who are brutally honest with you, because they love you, they care about you, and sometimes you need a good kick in the a**.

So unwind, get a cheesecake, and take everything in life with your friends by your side, and in moments when it seems bad, when the dust settles, make sure you look them right in the eyes and say with a sincere and loving heart, “Thank you for being a friend.”

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so