This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Hey, Scranton! Did you know number “11” is extremely special on Veterans Day?  In 1918 during the First World War on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month a truce was declared between Germany and the Allied Nations. This celebration of the truce was named Armistice Day. After World War II Armistice Day eventually became the holiday Veterans Day.  This day honors all the courageous people who have risked their lives in the U.S. Armed Forces. As we celebrate Veterans Day, it is the perfect opportunity to let your American pride shine. On November 11, do not stray away from your American- themed -party outfit (we all know you have one)… and take the time to think about all those who fight everyday for your freedom.  

This is a holiday that connects people: families, friends and the University of Scranton community. Veterans are everywhere; moms, dads, brothers, sisters, girlfriends, boyfriends, grandmas and grandpas. As Americans, we surround ourselves with these fearless, noble and heroic people on a daily basis.  

“Veterans day to me means brotherhood. The causes of war matter not because I fight regardless if I had my brothers to my left and right. Veterans Day is just a way of celebrating with my brothers,” University of Scranton senior and veteran Kyle Keller proclaimed.

This Veterans Day is especially important because next year our troops serving in Afghanistan and Iraq will return home from overseas. To celebrate this and honor veterans Her Campus Scranton asked students why they celebrate Veterans Day this year:

Sophomore, Latrice Smith 

Senior, Bevin Tally

Junior, Domenic Pagnanelli

Junior, Amy Mozeleski 

Sophomore, Dillon Vita 

Freshman, Marissa DiBella 

Junior, Jimmy Jencarelli 

Junior, Maggie Parks 

If you would like to celebrate Veterans Day the Scranton way, check out these events:

1. Poppy Cupcake Sale: $1 cash or royal-Tuesday, November 11 during dinner Third floor DeNaples
  2. Culture & Conversation: Veterans Sharing the Moral Burden of War-Tuesday, November 11, 7 p.m. Brennan 228

3. Veterans Day Collection Drive: Monday, November 10 and Tuesday November 11 table sits second floor DeNaples

(Number 2 & 3 are accepting donations of the following: Energy bars, Beef jerky, Trail mix, Nuts, Sunflower seeds, Candy, Girl scout cookies, Beverage mixes, Single serving boxes of cold cereal or hot cereal, Lip balm, Toothpaste & toothbrushes, Roll-on deodorant, Razors, Moist towelettes, Hand/food warmers, Foot powder (travel size), Blank greeting cards) 

Her Campus Scraton would like to wish everyone a Happy Veterans Day and a special thank you to all past and present soldiers, God Bless! 

Hailing from New Jersey, Donna is just as loving as her last name portrays her to be. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is positive that the song "Rather Be" was written about her past semester studying abroad in Australia. Donna lives for the dance floor, her three dogs and frozen yogurt. If you see her without her signature pearl earrings, just please, offer a sister some lovin. Follow her on Instagram @d0nzette & Twitter @DAmore55 !
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_