jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Star Crossed: The Iconic Ladies of Your Zodiac

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

2019 is just getting started and with the beginning of a new year, and I haven’t stopped looking for signs for how it will continue. Pop culture, with its many facets, has longed ruled my life and, sometimes, even the way I track time; but lately it’s become overbearing. Now and again, my astrological star sign has given me some guidance in my life and with so many influences from so many places, I thought, why not combine them! And with it being Women’s History Month and March beginning the Birth Chart, who better to look to than to those bad-asses, both past and present, with whom you share your Zodiac? Even if you aren’t a fan of tracking your fate by the stars, I’ve always loved knowing which star I share my sign with if only just for bragging rights. This Women’s History month let get inspired by these empowered and emboldened women who you can proudly say you are connected to by birth. 

Aries (March 21- April 19) – Fire sign ruled by Mars, The Ram; passionate, stubborn, courageous

Gloria Steinem 

I thought that the notorious activist and fire sign was the perfect way to start off this list of inspiring women! The so-called “Mother of Feminism” has been fighting for women’s rights since the 50’s and in true Aries fashion, her passion preceded her. Steinem lead the fight for equal rights through her hard-hitting expose on life as a playboy bunny and like an Aries, she’s been fighting ever since. Her courage to persevere should inspire Aries women everywhere.

Taurus(April 20- May 20) – Earth Sign ruled by Venus, The Bull; sensual, grounded, determined

Kehlani

As a Taurus, the R&B singer/songwriter can be described in one single phrase: SweetSexySavage. Her personal struggle with her identity shines through each and every soulful single. As a queer artist, she is able to fill her albums with sensual songs everyone can identify with, especially the LBGTQ community. As a Taurus would, she prides herself on her stubbornness to succeed, which pushed her toward a Grammy Nomination in 2015 and as a reliable earth sign, we can only expect more in the near future. Through this Taurus’ music you can hear the unique connection she has to those she loves, just as a true bull would. 

Gemini(May 21- June 20) Air Sign ruled by Mercury, The Twins; adaptable, intelligent, emotional

Idina Menzel 

Broadway superstar and Gemini queen, Idina Menzel, has captivated audiences with her powerful vocals since the mid-nineties. Her affinity for the stage is in true Gemini fashion. Without her powerhouse vocals, such musicals as Rent,Wicked and Frozenwould not be the same. Summed up perfectly in all of her most iconic characters and representative of the Gemini Twins; she is both relaxedandoutgoing. As a true Air sign, she is capable of expressing her emotions beautifully and sharing them with the world. Perhaps that is why she can so perfectly get into character, making all of the audience feel the true essence of her characters. Geminis get inspired by Menzel’s open heart and mind to succeed. 

Cancer(June 21- July 22) Water Sign ruled by the Moon, The Crab; loyal, expressive, kind

J.K Rowling  

As a best- selling author, Rowling was able to capture the human spirit in the beloved Harry Potterfantasy series. Her profound success in an emotional sector is just like a Cancer. Her loyalty to her characters and their individual stories is what sets her apart from other authors of our generation. The importance of her work drove her to ascend past her comfort zone and into film and theater. As a water sign, her fluidity took center stage and her imagination propelled her into the spot light, where she has stayed. Like any Cancer crab, she’s held tight to what’s most important to her, and luckily for all of us, hasn’t let go. 

Leo(July 23- August 22) Fire Sign ruled by the Sun, The Lion; brave, bold, majestic

Megan Markel

As the Princess Bride of 2018, Markle’s previous success in show business speaks true to her Leo nature. She was a successful model, actress, and activist before her marriage into royalty. All for the spotlight, just like a Leo, she has blended beautifully into a new life depended on by the public. Her outspoken attitude displays the distinguishable passion of a fire sign. With a new year, the Duchess of Sussex proudly marches into motherhood full of style and grace, ready to lead her new pack. Everyone, especially Leos, can see the happy halo of light permanently radiating around her.  

Virgo (August 23- September 22) Earth Sign ruled by Mercury; The Virgin; analytical, diligent, patient  

Marsha Clarke 

The analytical attorney, Clarke was launched into the spot light during the O.J. Simpson trial in the 1990’s. Her appearance and his fame took precedence during the proceedings but as a true Virgo she stuck to her gut. From commentary and guest roles to production, her practicality kept her patient while she worked her way through television. With a critical eye, she meticulously wrote a series of crime novels that intrigued the public. During the Emmy Winning The People vs. O. J. Simpson: An American Crime Story, where she was played by Sarah Paulson, a friendly and compatible Fire Sign, her story was brought back into the light.Her dependability as an earth sign began to shine through and not long after The Fix, a legal drama loosely based on Clarke’s time during the Simpson Trial, debuted on ABC. Its an exciting new year for the former prosecutor and she’s inspiring Virgos everywhere with her comeback. 

Libra(September 23- October 22) Air Sign ruled by Venus, The Scales; balanced, interconnected, aesthetic 

AOC

Alexandria Ocasio- Cortez, often referred to by just her initials, AOC, has taken the political world by storm. At just 29 years old, Ocasio- Cortez made history when she, with Libra like leadership, was sworn into congress. Her desire for harmony mixed with a unique Hispanic background has shaken up the male dominated branch of government, but the scales (aka Libra symbol) are slowly tipping in her favor. She’s ignoring her haters and challenging her opponents backed by an iconic collection fellow ceiling breaking congresswomen; one hilariously spoofed by the ladies of Saturday Night Live. Her air sign qualities can be seen while she’s interacting with other Bronx natives and her desire to bring people together is something every Libra can admire. 

Scorpio (October 23- November 21) Water Sign ruled by Mars, The Scorpion; brave, resourceful, dedicated

Samantha Bee 

As late night’s leading lady, Bee is an emotive Scorpio who worked her way into a primetime slot. Her ability to successfully flow into different art mediums; from commentary on The Daily Show,to producing a comedy on TBS, she flaunts her water sign tendencies.  No matter which controversy she’s covering, Bee finds a way to be hilariously witty and daring. After hosting her critically acclaimed, and history-making late night satire for only a year, Bee was named one of Time’s“Most Influential People.” The passionate comedian isn’t done yet and in true Scorpio fashion she’s blazing a trail for us to follow. 

Sagittarius(November 22- December 21) Fire Sign ruled by Jupiter, The Archer; uninhibited, knowledgeable, open-minded 

Billie King 

Legendry tennis pro and “Battle of the Sexes” champion, Billie King, is a role model for not just Sagittarians, but women everywhere. Beside winning nearly 40 grand slam titles, she has been an outspoken and determined advocate for women’s rights. Her fire sign tendencies shown through the 2017 documentary like film, based on her experiences as a member of the LBGTQ community and a woman in a male dominated sport. Her ideals and passion collided in true Sagittarius form in what would be the legendary match of the 1970’s. The award-winning athlete is no stranger to adversity but always found a way to focus on positivity, which is something all signs can all strive for. 

Capricorn (December 22- January 19) Earth Sign ruled by Saturn, The Sea Goat; disciplined, practical, ambitious 

Gabby Douglas 

An athlete unlike any other, the 23-year-old Capricorn and gold medalist is no stranger to hard work. Her ambition took her to record breaking heights and she flipped her way into the heart of America. The tragedy that took place at the hands of Dr. Larry Nasser didn’t stop the young Earth sign from digging in her feet and snatching the title. As a young African- American woman she persevered and through Capricorn like practicality, she made it onto the cover of corn flakes boxes everywhere, gold medals in hand. Capricorn women recognize her determination just like Niki Minaj did when she said “But I got ‘em aggy, cause I won the gold like Gabby.”

Aquarius (January 20- February 18) Air Sign ruled by Saturn, Water Barer; creative, progressive, intellectual 

Shonda Rhimes 

A scandalous Aquarius, Shonda Rhimes has been shaking up TV since 2005 and hasn’t stopped since. Unlike others in television, she’s not just the creator, but head writer and executive producer of her showstopping tv dramas. Air signs are communicators by nature and Rhimes is no exception, as she manages to make her audiences weep for her complicated characters. As an Aquarius, she takes pride in her intellectual nature, flexing her creative abilities through her various hit shows. The so-called “showrunner” is a talent that Time named one of their “100 People Who Help Shape the World” and with her progressive attitude there is no doubt she’s the Aquarius queen TV deserves. 

Pieces (February 19- March 20) Water Sign ruled by Jupiter, Two Fish; all-encompassing, wise, imaginative

Janet Mock 

The wise and fulfilled Pieces has all other signs wrapped up into its personality, so who better to be inspired by than Janet Mock. A writer, producer, host and trans activist all in one, Mock has shown that she isn’t afraid to be fluid in order to reach her goals. Her intuition as a water sign shines through in her decision to tell her story in a best-selling autobiography. As a writer and producer on the critically acclaimed Pose, she was able to shed light on a story unlike any other on TV today; one of acceptance, love and self-actualization, one for the black and LGBTQ community. Mock has created an outlet that all signs can enjoy and marvel at. Her Pieces ambition has helped give the world a spiritual experience filled with music and romance, something every sign can appreciate.

Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.