Slaying Fall Semester 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Goodbye sllyabus week – time to get serious. 

You may be dreading the return to all the sleepless nights and endless assignments, or you may be counting down the moments until you can turn up with all of your besties – but regardless, your tan lines will inevitably fade and your hours of nightly sleep will start to drop as fast as your bank account. But who cares: we’re back ladies! 

Here at Her Campus, we want to help roll out the red carpet and have you kill it at “the U”. Therefore, we’ve put a few tips together to making this semester the BEST ONE YET! This mini course is the prerequisite you all should master; welcome to Slaying Fall Semester 101. 

1. Leave last year’s drama in the past.

You heard me, what happened last spring stays in last spring. Summer gave us three months to reflect on the friends who didn’t really care, the professors that just pushed your buttons a little too hard, and the f***boys who screwed you over one too many times. But those external factors shouldn’t affect how you go into school this August. Going into fall semester with a negative mindset about the people around you will only hold you back. Letting go of the past and remaining indifferent to the people who have hurt you is a surefire way to becoming a successful person, something we all strive to become at school.

We’re all mature ladies, grudges are for little girls.

2. Remember why you’re here: PRIORITIZE

In order to slay, first you gotta work. To do that you must prioritize, prioritize prioritize. We’re all dropping the big bucks this fall for one reason only, and that’s to get that degree. There’s no time to fall into the common FOMO (fear of missing out) that many college students find themselves in.

It’s the Wednesday of “syllabus week”. All your girlfriends have turned into #glamsquad getting ready for a night out on the town. Your biology professor recommended you read pages 1-43 before class tomorrow at 10 am. What do you do?

These are the difficult (and I know hunny it’s really hard) moments where you have to put school first and say no. But don’t worry, getting ahead from now will leave you the weekend to veg out and a Sunday night with a LOT less cramming.

3. Focus on YOU!

Mental health is something that shouldn’t be forgotten during your first few weeks of school. We’ve all grown used to the lull of summertime, so the back to school frenzy can be a bit overwhelming. Remember to not only keep up with school, but keep up with yourself as well. If you have any hobbies that keep you sane in trying times, or need to hit up the Stairmaster to beat out some stress, by all means do it. Binge watch some Netflix while you still have a little free time, paint your toenails a pretty pink color in some mandala patterns, or go on a jog. And don’t ever let all of the sign-ups, club dues, or textbook payments stress you out and keep you from ~*~slaying~*~.

4. Make like a circle and become well rounded.

Punny right?

It’s a known fact that college students who are more involved in university activities are more successful than those who aren’t. If you’re athletic, maybe join an intermural team. If you like photography, join the photography club. If you’re awesome, join Her Campus! Seriously, get yourself out there! You may think there’s too much work and not enough time to involve yourself in clubs and extracurricular activites, but in fact adding things to your schedule that you want to do can help maintain structure and organization. Also, becoming more involved can help build relationships with those around you who have the same interests.

5. Take a break!

Last but not least, the fun tip you’ve been looking forward to (I see you girl.) Of course, we all need a well-deserved break at one point or another. So let loose and go out, or visit mom and dad for a weekend. A night of fun can be something to look forward to and motivate you even more. Just remember to stay safe and keep it classy.

Well there you have it gals, Slaying Fall Semester 101 has come to a close!

Time to close your laptops and apply all that you’ve learned as soon as you step foot on the Dionne green. Good luck and have a wonderful fall 2016 semester! <3

Julia Wardeh

Scranton '19

Julia Wardeh is a senior studying pre-medicine at the University of Scranton. This will be her second year as president and CC of Her Campus Scranton, which she hopes to elevate and expand. In her free time, Julia enjoys working as a barista, reading novels, and looking at the latest memes.