This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

May the sun shine all day long, everything go right and nothing wrong. May those you love bring love back to you, and may all the wishes you wish come true.

As Saint Patrick’s Day approaches, I feel that it is only right to embrace and acknowledge the 25% of myself that is of Irish decent. The easiest way to accomplish this is to eat massive amounts of authentic Irish foods! Therefore, I am going to share with all of you my Uncle Barry’s Sheppard’s Pie recipe. Sheppard’s Pie happens to be my favorite Irish dish, as well as one of my favorite meals in general. I promise you that it is super easy to make, and that you will not be disappointed. So, if you’re feeling particularly kind this March, I suggest that you go buy some Guinness and cook your housemates this delicious meal! And don’t forget to recite an Irish Blessing before you feast…

Uncle Barry’s Sheppard’s Pie Recipe

Ingredients

1 ½ to 2 pounds potatoes (about 3 large potatoes), peeled and quartered

8 Tablespoons (1 stick) butter

1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)

1-2 cups vegetables- diced carrots, corn, peas

1 ½ lbs ground round beef

½ cup beef broth

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice 

Method

1. Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in medium sized pot.  Cover with at least an inch of cold water.  Add a teaspoon of salt.  Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender. (About 20 minutes)

2. While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large sauté pan on medium heat.  Add the chopped onions and cook until tender, about 6 to 10 minutes.  If you are including vegetables, add them according to their cooking time.  Carrots should be cooked with onions, or after the meat starts to cook. 

3. Add ground beef to the pan with the onions and vegetables.  Cook until it’s no longer pink.  Season with salt and pepper.  Then add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth.  Bring the broth to a simmer and reduce heat to low.  Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth if necessary to keep the meat from drying out. 

4. When the potatoes are done cooking, remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl with the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter.  Mash it up, and then season it with salt and pepper. 

5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spread the beef, onions, and vegetables in an even layer in a large baking dish.  Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the ground beef. Rough up the surface of the mashed potatoes with a fork so there are peaks that will get browned. 

6. Place in the oven and cook until browned and bubbling, which should take about 30 minutes.   

A big thanks to Uncle Barry by the way, who is probably the best cook I have ever met. I hope you all have a fun, safe, and lucky St. Patrick’s Day! Enjoy, everyone!

Wherever you go and whatever you do, May the luck of the Irish be there with you.”

Julia Troost is a born and raised New Yorker, which comes as no shock once you hear her accent. She is a current senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Occupational Therapy with a minor in Psychology. Having a love for writing and fashion from a young age, HerScranton allows Julia to take a break from the sciences and embody her inner Carrie Bradshaw (circa late 2004). You’ll never see her without a smile on her face or yelling at people to “be optimistic!” Julia looks forward to completing her clinicals at prestigious NYC hospitals, and ultimately working with war veterans.
Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!