Scranton’s Hidden Gem, Bejay Chakrabarty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

You might have seen this week’s celeb all around campus-as he is probably in every club the U offers! Bejay Chakrabarty, a media and information technology major from Plainsboro NJ, exemplifies everything our school values in a student: he is funny, kind, honest, risk-taking, involved, well-rounded and overall a good person. Through his struggles and triumphs, he always strives. From working two jobs during summers and singing in nursing homes, Bejay knows a lot about the importance of hard work and service. He has met many famous public figures (including politians and even a member of the band, The Wanted) and has been on his local radio station. This kid aims to be a celebrity- so it’s only fitting that he is our celeb of the week. I was lucky enough to sit with Bejay and answer the big question everyone really wants to know: “Who IS the real Bejay?”

HC: First of all, can you list the clubs you’re involved with?
BC: Aquinas, RTN, Her Campus, Church Choir and United Colors Organization

HC: What are some other things you’re interested in?
BC: Singing and dancing are my favorite hobbies, and I like to go to all of the events on campus that I can attend. This weekend, I was in the UCO fashion show modeling Indian apparel, I also sang and dance at the USPB Scranton’s Got Talent.

HC: That’s amazing! I’ve seen you perform and you’re very good. You also take classes at Marywood, right?
BC: Yes, photography. I like it there, it’s more artsy and hands-on especially because I’m taking photography. My classes here are more structured. 

HC: Which school do you like better?
BC: You can’t ask me that! *laughs* Obviously Scanton is my school and I love it. Marywood has a different vibe, and the library is more calm to be honest.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
BC:
I’m really into media and communication, so I picked a major with media aspects. One day I want to do something like RTN or work for a magazine.

HC: Have you always been over-achieving?
BC: Since High school I’ve always been told that I was. I volunteered, and I still continue to sing at nursing homes. I recently did a project here with the Center for Social Service and Justice and Cura Personalis, we fixed up a house in the community. There are certain community aspects I try to achieve in college environment. Also, my brother can’t believe I’m overachieving. (I’ve done more stuff that he has.) It’s been a hard transition, though, from high school to college.

HC: What’s the most rewarding service you’ve done?
BC: It’s called March of Dimes, an organization that supplies medical supplies to hospitals and supports families. I visited an ICU as a senior in high school, I had an officer position and raised over 100 dollars through Facebook and social media. It felt good to see where that money goes. There was also a mile walk. It’s cool to see everyone’s efforts come together to help.

HC: What do you do in spare time or to relax?
BC: When I have spare time, I like looking into new songs to practice singing. Also, I try to figure out what I can do to better my personality and faith, think about religious things. I go to mass every Sunday and that helps me relax.

HC: What is something people don’t know about you?
BC: I have ADHD, but I don’t let it affect who I am. It’s hard for me to make friends and be out there. Sometimes it’s hard for me to process things.

HC: I never knew that, do you have any advice for people living with ADHD?
BC: I always try to reflect back on when I was in high school-teachers and advisors told me that I wouldn’t be able to handle a four year college, they suggested community college or even online classes. But I did not want to do that, at all. I think I made the right choice. If people tell you you can’t do something and you want to, try it and go for it. Even though I’ve been struggling academically and socially. Everyday I learn a lot. I wouldn’t be able to learn what I learn here at community college. By being here, it is making me better. Try to power through, don’t let it stop you from being the person you want to be.

HC: That’s amazing advice that I think anyone can learn something from. What has being at this university taught you?
BC: The days that no one is around who can help you, you can always go to your family. College makes you appreciate your family more.

HC: Anything else you want our readers to know?
BC:
I’M GOING TO BE AN UNCLE!

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so