This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Halloween is one of the oldest holidays, dating back centuries. But where did it come from? Halloween is widely celebrated by carving pumpkins, dressing up, and drinking PSLs, but its roots go back to a celebration called Samhain. Samhain is a Gaelic festival that marks the shift into the darker half of the year. It is celebrated around the same time as Halloween, but Samhain follows more natural cycles than an actual calendar. It falls around October 31st to November 1stor 2nd and is the beginning of the pagan new year.

Samhain focuses on the celebration of the dead and it is believed that the barriers between the physical and spiritual world break and creates an opportunity for interaction between humans and those who have passed. It is a time for celebrating those we have lost and reflecting on the past year. Samhain was very important to those who celebrated it and they would light fires, harvest their crops, and gather to pay homage to the dead. Although this celebration has shifted to be much less important and more about candy than celebrating the dead, there are still many people who celebrate Samhain. Halloween is deeply rooted in the traditions of Samhain, including dressing up and trick-or-treating! Similar to Halloween, people would dress up as animals or other spiritual things to blend in with or ward off unwanted spiritual guests. They would also go house to house and perform songs or poetry – tricks – to receive candy or other treats. 

Halloween is a fun celebration, a time to embrace your inner child, get free candy, and enjoy fall festivities. So drink that PSL, wear your costume, go out, and remember where it all came from!

Bree Wolff

Scranton '23

Secondary education & English major with a love of cats & spooky things