The Road to 2020: A Collegiates’ Take

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

First things first, this article is not meant to offend anyone and if you disagree with me, cool. This is my opinion and analysis; it is in no way the right one. Political discourse is necessary, and I think when we refuse to listen to each other and respectfully disagree we perpetuate the current political divide. 

With a plethora of candidates running in the Democratic Primary, and the chaos of The Trump White house, it feels like 2020 24/7. Jokes aside, in under 410 days Americans will head out to the ballot box to vote in the 59th presidential election election. Before that, the democratic party will have to nominate a candidate to go head to head with President Trump. As we saw last election, who the candidate is and how those running who were not chosen react to that will greatly shape the election. 

Living in a politically apathetic campus is a challenge, but that is a whole other article. I’m writing this article because I think it’s important for everyone to discuss and be informed on politics, since it shapes every professional field. This election will shape our country’s future. Looking at the democratic candidates, their electability, their platforms, and how this election is already mirroring 2020.

There are a lot of similarities from this election and the 2016 election. The parties pretty much reversed scenarios. In 2016, the republicans had 17 candidates in the primary; democrats had a meager three with an obvious front runner. Flash forward to 2020, there are 21 primary democrats candidates with one obvious republican front runner – unless he gets impeached. Also, Bernie’s back, and hopefully he doesn’t divide the party again like in 2016. And where would we be without everyone bringing up former President Obama in literally every debate. 

We need to truly re-evaluate what qualifies someone as electable. Joe Biden is seen has been hailed as a super electable candidate because “everyone loves Joe”. Well, as much as I love Joe Biden, he actually isn’t the most electable. First of all, being an older white man who appeals to more moderates doesn’t define electable. Being electable is proposing the best ideas and plans that appeal to the largest amount of people. I don’t think he has demonstrated having the best plans. Also, during the third debate he was genuinely frazzled and visually upset when Julian Castro who is pulling at two percent. That’s a bit concerning considering if he becomes the nominee, he will have to go head to head with President Trump.

When it comes to electability, I’m sorry but Bernie isn’t the most electable. First of all, Bernie is not a democrat. He is an independent who runs as a Democrat to gain a platform. I don’t dislike Bernie, I think he has some great ideas however he is too extreme to appeal to most moderates. If he doesn’t get the nomination he will once again split the party and allow Trump to win again. 

Like in the last election, there are several candidates who have potential, but shouldn’t be running for President right now. Pete Buttigieg is a great candidate with progressive plans and ideas, but he lacks experience. He’d make a great VP, and hopefully a great president  someday – just not right now. Another candidate, Beto O’Rourke, has great ideas on things like gun control, but could contribute more as a senator or congressman. I’m from New Jersey, so I’m biased and want Cory Booker to stay my senator. The #YangGang is a meme, a lovable meme, but a meme. As is Andrew.

I have a love hate relationship with Kamala Harris. I love how strong she is, her one liners are iconic, and she does have some great ideas. However, her problematic record makes it hard to believe her when she says her views have changed. Is it just to secure votes, or has she genuinely rethought her positions on issues of criminal justice reform? I feel she has not adequately addressed this.

Now in my opinion, there is one who qualifies as most electable, who will go far in this election. I think the Road to 2020 is female. Elizabeth Warren is the clear choice for the democratic nominee. Her detailed plans, relatable way of conveying those plans, and debate savvy make her the most electable person on the debate stage. She is strong and could easily take on Donald Trump. 

Those are my thoughts on the Road to a 2020 win in terms of democraitc candidates thus far. However, it is only September. In the early stages of the 2016 election Jeb Bush was the frontrunner, and Donald Trump was the punchline. Basically, anything can happen. Let’s hope we don’t repeat history this election.

HCXO,

Carly

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.