This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Many people have differing opinions on what the most important part of a relationship is. Loving one another, spending time together, going out, and buying each other gifts are just a few parts of a relationship that many people focus on. In today’s day and age, the most overlooked aspect of a relationship that can make or break it is respect. Respect is defined as a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements. What is a relationship without respect? The answer: a disaster.  

Showing that you trust the one you love is a huge sign of respect. Constantly checking their phone or reading their messages shows that you don’t trust them and probably should rethink the relationship. Repeatedly texting and calling your significant other is another sign of disrespect. If your significant other doesn’t answer the first call, be patient. Maybe they are using the bathroom or watching a movie. If they truly love you, they will call you and text you back when they have time.  Digging through their personal belongings while they are out of the room is another sign of disrespect. You should trust your loved one to show you everything with time if they do have a secret to hide. You should trust them to tell/show you everything with time. Patience really does pay off in the long run when it comes to relationships. Don’t constantly pester them or you will risk chasing them away.  

Communication is another sign of respect. If your loved one confides in you regarding a secret, they are trusting that you will not share the information. They will be open and honest with you as more time progresses. Would you tell someone you just started dating your deepest darkest secrets? Making sure that you communicate openly is another important aspect of a relationship. If you feel hurt or upset, communicate those feelings in a way that does feel like you are accusing them or targeting them. Use ‘I’ statements like “I felt hurt when you cancelled our movie date”. Everyone has opinions and emotions that deserve to be heard. Even if this causes a disagreement, that’s perfectly fine. No relationship is perfect. Learning how to work through a disagreement or misunderstanding only strengthens the relationship more. By learning to communicate effectively with your significant other, you will be showing respect to them. 

As much as I love spending time with my boyfriend, we both understand that time apart is important, too. He needs time to hang out with his friends and I need time to hang out with mine. Respecting that your significant other needs time away sometimes is important. Your significant other needs time to be him or herself and if that means not seeing each other for a few days, you need to respect that decision. It may seem hard to do at first but being apart can allow you time to discover new hobbies or even make new friends. Maybe your significant other would like to try your new hobby in the end, too. Make sure to respect your significant other if they decide that they would like some time apart. 

Lastly, differences in a relationship shouldn’t be frowned upon. As the saying goes, opposites attract. If your significant other is a sports fan but you aren’t really into sports, you should respect their different likes. Same goes if you like something and they don’t. Don’t try to force it down their throat and make them like everything you like. Everyone is entitled to like different shows, music, and hobbies. If you keep an open mind, they will do the same and might even end up liking more of your interests over time. When I first started dating my boyfriend, he had no interest in crafting, but still appreciated the crafts that I made him. After a few months, he asked if he could join in on the crafting. He failed miserably but still enjoyed spending time with me and wants to give it a shot again soon. I was the same was with his video games. He always plays video games and that activity never interested me. After a while, I began to warm up to the idea of video games and started watching him play them more instead of just waiting until he put on a movie for us. Now, I find myself playing games like NBA 2K and UFC, games I never thought I would find an interest in. Accepting each other’s differences in the beginning will strengthen a relationship as it goes on. Disrespecting your significant other by putting them or their interests down only harms a relationship.  

With this whole world turned upside-down, more and more relationships are falling apart. More and more people are figuring out that they didn’t marry or start a relationship with who they thought they did. One major reason for this sudden revelation is the increase of disrespect in relationships. A good relationship is built on respect and your respect can be shown in many ways. Next time you are with your significant other, just remember showing trust, communicating effectively, spending time apart, and embracing differences are just a few ways you can show your significant other just how much you respect them. 

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.